Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Tutorial Online!

Default Japanese Tutorial Online!

Ohayou gozaimasu!
    (Good morning!)

Because I get a lot of private message for me to teach many people here how to speak Japanese, I have found a website where everybody can learn Japanese. I think it easier to put it here since there are too many private message to respond to. I hope I not find it too late. Although I am very busy in Tokyo, I still find website for you! ;D

This website not only teach you how to speak with nihongo grammar, but it also show you how to write kanji for katakana and hiragana. You cannot type kanji on this website because you need special setup. My computer and keyboard use kanji always, (even though keyboard have romaji on buttons). However, you can still read kanji if you install files from website.

Go and learn nihongo (Japanese) here:
    http://www.japanese-online.com/LANGUAGE/index.htm

Go and learn kanji for Katakana here:
    http://www.japanese-online.com/langu...s/katakana.htm

Go and learn kanji for Hiragana here:
    http://www.japanese-online.com/langu...s/hiragana.htm

Go here to download kanji support for your computer (if you not have it on Windows CD):
    http://www.japanese-online.com/language/jview.htm

Use Japanese-English Dictionary here:
    http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html

This dictionary allow only romaji so you not need to worry ;D

Be sure that you download files so that you can see kanji in your internet browser. If you only see funny romaji in your browser, then you not have kanji support install on your computer. My friend say that computers with eigo (english) will automatic ask you to insert CD when you try to see website in nihongo. If it ask you to insert CD, insert Windows CD that you use on your computer.

Ok, I hope this is helpful! If you have question, please ask here! Only problem is that when you are sleeping, it is daytime in Japan. So I only come here when it is very late in Jamaica. To know what time it is in Japan, add 14 hours to your time! Best time for me to come here is noon and evening in my time. So you work that out!

Have fun!

jaa, matane
    Rie

Default Re:Japanese Tutorial Online!

Thanks for the tutorial Shinriejin. Hopefully I won't require that my animes be subbed anymore. ;D

thanks shin...

I haven't read the websites yet.. but could you explain the subtle differences in the dialects.

which one is most used? is one kinda like Patois in Jamaica.. a broken/slang/language of the masses type thing...??

thanks

Oh no, they not dialect! They are writing type!

Kanji is japanese characters (kan = japanese, ji = character) inherited from ancient China, long before first dynasty. Kanji has many many characters, I think over 6,000. Maybe more!! (most Japanese not even know all of them :). Kanji specific refer to old way of writing in Japan during feudal era where 1 character represent complete idea. Now word 'kanji' refer to any kind of Japanese character.

Hiragana is new way of writing Japanese. It is base on how english ji work to make words. Since Japan come out of feudal age, Hiragana was made so that now we have alphabet like english. Hiragana have many more ji than english, but now anybody can write a word in Japanese without knowning kanji - since in Hiragana, each ji has specific sound. However, unlike english, Hiragana have more ji in alphabet for many sounds or words not use in english.

It also make it practical to make keyboard for Japanese! ;D 'Traditional Chinese' work in same way like hiragana. Now China have alphabet too! :P

Katakana is hiragana for foreign words. It is use to spell words that not from nihongo. It work just like Hiragana, but closer to english pronunciation. That mean, any word that not original from nihongo, we use Katakana to write it. For example:

konpyuuta = computer
    intaanetto = internet

(I use romaji here because this website not accept kanji)

We would write 'konpyuuta' and 'intaaneto' in Katakana, not Hiragana since there is no pronunciation for internet or computer in original nihongo alphabet. However, I can write my alias (Rie Tomosaka) in hiragana. I cannot write my full name in hiragana since Talisa is not nihongo name. Understand?

It is easy to tell difference between hiragana and katakana. Hiragana use many curve lines. Most of time you see Japanese writing, it in hiragana.

Katakana is mostly straight lines and you always see them on Sony Japan website, on video games or on delivery trucks. :

My signature is in kanji. It read "I love Japan". ;D But almost nobody write in orignial kanji anymore.

This is Hiragana - See how the lines are curvy?

Now this is Katakana. These lines are very straight. Can you see the difference?

Now this is kanji. All kanji is made from these 4 ji. All 6,000+ of them!! These ji are what make up original Cantonese (China) and kanji (Japan). They represent the 4 primary elements of life. They are (from top to bottom):

Ki = Tree
    Hi = Sun
    Tsuki = Moon
    Chikara = Power/Force

To show you how Japanese and Chinese similar with kanji, in Chinese, there is a fighting system called Tai Chi (way of the force). In Japan, for Ninpoujutsu (way of the ninja), we say Chikara (which sound a lot like "chakra&quot. Chinese say "Chi" and Japanese say Chikara/Chakra. But they are represented with the same ji.

These 4 kanji make up all other kanji words. Can you find them in my signature? ;D

Great links Shin...

I have some of the speech tutorials on cd's there are great.!!!

Watashi wa benkyoo o shimasu nihongo. Its really cool, It will be my 7th language learnt.I havta do it for my game development and design class at "Full sail" .I am glad you are helping others with this info. Is it the only other language you speak?

I have known of Full sail for sometime. Is it any good. I don't know anyone who had done their Game Development courses.