View Poll Results: After using both, which version of the language do you prefer?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Visual Basic 6.0

6 28.57%
  • Visual Basic.NET

13 61.90%
  • Neither here nor there...

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VB 6.0 vs VB.NET...

girldemsuga Guest

I am comfortable in VB6 and able to help myself in VB.NET (Through a Lot Of Reading) but i prefer VB6 (maybe through that face that I'm good at it).
    I have not done any major program in VB.Net but any projects i get in the future will be written in it.

One thing though, i dont like the idea of detached DataSet.

Quote Originally Posted by girldemsuga
    Same way I felt when i first started programming ADO.Net but trust this will grow on you and once you start getting more and more projects you will see the great benefits of detached datasets, but choosing to go connected vs disconnected has a lot to do with the type of application.

Example: for transaction processing systems, your only choice really would be to go connected but for systems for each user can simply download the needed data into disconnected datasets, make modifications locally and then refresh online database at say the end of the day, lots of resources will be saved by using the disconnected mode - say you have a system to build where there is one central database storing tables for the accounts department, the human resource department etc, the system could be built so that users within the HR department will pull only data related to their job function, the application then disconnects from the database and the data is then stored locally, a HR person could then add a new employee, update existing records etc and at the end of the day refresh the online database system.
    Last edited by seanbee20; Aug 9, 2006 at 04:51 PM.
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5
    POWERED By: LIME 3G

girldemsuga Guest

Good point.
    Well maybe I'm just old fashion but VB.Net is the way to go so i just have to live with it.

I must say that i love the improvements

Gotta luv .NET over classic

naturally....vb.net all the way
    OvErSiZeSpAdE

Quote Originally Posted by girldemsuga View Post
    I am comfortable in VB6 and able to help myself in VB.NET (Through a Lot Of Reading) but i prefer VB6 (maybe through that face that I'm good at it).
    I have not done any major program in VB.Net but any projects i get in the future will be written in it.

if you prefer VB6 over VB.NET, its only because you dont know .NET yet... keep practicing... You will never want to use VB6 again.

I noticed nobody mentioned exception handleing in .NET...

exception handleing in .NET vs VB6s on Error routines is like a Lexus vs a Hyndai...
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

girldemsuga Guest

You might be right but the reason have have not got much practice in that .Net is because i have no project i have done is it.
    We are starting a new Application at work, which will be written by 4 programmer including myself. This app will be written in VB 6 because we have a working framework in VB6.
    It would be wonderful if it was done in .Net though.

Quote Originally Posted by girldemsuga View Post
    You might be right but the reason have have not got much practice in that .Net is because i have no project i have done is it.
    We are starting a new Application at work, which will be written by 4 programmer including myself. This app will be written in VB 6 because we have a working framework in VB6.
    It would be wonderful if it was done in .Net though.
    make the suggestion....
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

girldemsuga Guest

Dude, i tried.
    I am not the Head Programmer if this project so i have to just go long with the flow.

VB 6 is great and its wonderful but VB.Net 1.1 is more powerful and you could do as amazing things. Now VB.Net 2.0 is here and its filled with a whole bag of tricks. I recommend everyone to upgrade and use it.