View Poll Results: After using both, which version of the language do you prefer?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Visual Basic 6.0

6 28.57%
  • Visual Basic.NET

13 61.90%
  • Neither here nor there...

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VB 6.0 vs VB.NET...

Arrow VB 6.0 vs VB.NET...

I've been using visual basic 6.0 for some time now i've gotten pretty good at it, but with the advent of 64bit versions of windows and the fairly new vb.NET craze i find myself wondering if its really necessary to upgrade to .NET. Can vb 6.0 be like other lasting languages such as C and Python? Your thoughts please...
    PHP || MySQL || XHTML || CSS || JavaScript

Very Proficient with both, (well I used to with VB6). No comparison between the two.... you know that crazy dll hell nonsense? its gone...
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

Dude take my advise..... and I mean every word of this - it is worth every effort to upgrade your skills to .Net. Things you can do in .Net you can only dream of doing in VB6 (or would have to spend twice the time to do).

For me VB6 is dead and only if there is absolutely no other choice would I program in VB6 over VB.Net.

Some benefits which come to mind includes:

1) far superior database performance
    2) Ability for programs developed in different languages (C#, VB.Net, Cobol.Net etc) to reference each other
    3) Object Oriented - for me VB6 was never an object oriented langauge, .Net however is
    4) Greater stability
    5) Improved Garbage collection

Man I could go on and on - trust me for me java is the best langauge for unix based systems, enterprise web applications but once you are looking into a windows environment for me .Net is the best programming choice for that environment
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5
    POWERED By: LIME 3G

Quote Originally Posted by Sutra
    I've been using visual basic 6.0 for some time now i've gotten pretty good at it, but with the advent of 64bit versions of windows and the fairly new vb.NET craze i find myself wondering if its really necessary to upgrade to .NET. Can vb 6.0 be like other lasting languages such as C and Python? Your thoughts please...
    Upgrading to .net is strongly advised.

The upgraded developement environment (IDE) provides a quicker and eassier means of doing coomon stuff in applications.

The upgraded library (Framework 2.0) has more classes then ever

The upgraded language ... what seanbee20 said.

There may be a few things than can be better done in VB than VB.Net but for the most part, all common stuff and more, VB.Net rulez. VB.Net is also capable of using VB libraries (dlls). It may not write a vb dll, but it writes .net dlls which have a bunch of features including code acess security and internal versioning. Btw, .net framework must be installed on the computer that you want to run the .net application. Thus VB.net can write a .net dll wrapper for a vb dll. The Framework 1.0 release has been around from about 2001 so it has a wide implementation of the older vb dlls and there is not much worry about finding code to run a .net application. Basically, VB.Net is were Microsoft programming is heading.

I am not even going to mention web page design and web sevices because that overlaps with ASP.Net, another upgrade to ASP.

Summary: the libraries are clean and consistent. You may need a little trainning/practice to fully utilize .Net platform technologies, just like how you did with VB, e.g. how to connect with a database is a bit different but don't worry about it. The language has a few differences so that will take some time to get use to. Again, its nothing to worry about. Its all for the better, especially feeling like a rapid applications developer.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Quote Originally Posted by seanbee20
    Dude take my advise..... and I mean every word of this - it is worth every effort to upgrade your skills to .Net. Things you can do in .Net you can only dream of doing in VB6 (or would have to spend twice the time to do).

For me VB6 is dead and only if there is absolutely no other choice would I program in VB6 over VB.Net.

Some benefits which come to mind includes:

1) far superior database performance
    2) Ability for programs developed in different languages (C#, VB.Net, Cobol.Net etc) to reference each other
    3) Object Oriented - for me VB6 was never an object oriented langauge, .Net however is
    4) Greater stability
    5) Improved Garbage collection

Man I could go on and on - trust me for me java is the best langauge for unix based systems, enterprise web applications but once you are looking into a windows environment for me .Net is the best programming choice for that environment
    If VB6 is dead what do you say about this:

http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

the green arrows mean the popularity is growing.

But anyways I agree with the rest of your points.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    If VB6 is dead what do you say about this:

http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

the green arrows mean the popularity is growing.

But anyways I agree with the rest of your points.
    Notice I said FOR ME VB 6 is dead, I am quite aware that generally VB6 is still alive and kicking, in fact that is still the development language of choice for my employer when it comes to windows development, but I personally don't use VB6 unless i absolutely have to - right now I am in the process of trying to convince my bosses to invest in Visual Studio 2005 and to slowly phrase out Visual Studio 6

Nice link though, informative... thanks for that
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5