Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1

Default Re: SUSE LINUXOpenexchange Server 4.1

A nice bug-filled blanky with plenty of holes
    Yes it is. Perhaps even worse things can be said about it. However, the people with whom I have spoken and the articles that I have read pretty much say the same thing. People are willing to change the mail portion but the calendaring functionality keeps them tied to the product.

Let us see what happens in a few years.

I don't believe exchange to be as good as Domino... there is nothing that MS has that I beleive to be the best right now... we are just all locked in.
    I have not used either. I can only repeat what I have been told and what I have read.

The author of the article in the Linux Journal is a hard core Linux supporter. He has been writing for the magazine for a long time. He was the one who wrote about the visit of the Linus, etc. to Jamaica and the session with JALUG.

Default Re: SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1

jamrock, please review lotus notes for yourself... I will captilise on the term.. shock 'n' awe

eehm.... Sir G., I don't think we need to go as far as Windows 2003 Server or any of its License extortion options to run Exchange Server.

The truth gents is that Exchange Server has blanketed support for a number of mobile users. The most popular features of Exchange Server these days aside from the obvious, is it's ability to incorporate mobile users and a built in document management system based on the RAS architecture which is especially useful for journalists on the go.

Think of those implanted in Iraq who write stories for their companies all the way back in LA & NY. Exchange Server is by default, directly supported by all PDAs based on the Pocket PC platform. That's one of the MAJOR reasons why it is so popular and reknown in the business world. The guys who built the software have years of experience in the field and are only making it better.

Also recall that "De higher monkey climb, de more 'im expose". Meaning that the more popular a software product becomes, the more likely it is that bugs will be discovered in it. Therefore I wouldn't swear by the indestructibility of any software or assert any one over another for any particular reason, because I know how frail software can be.

I always rate software based on its popularity. If hundreds of thousands of people have selected one piece of software over another, then there must be a logical reason for the developer's success - usually it's software design (and appropriate marketing). So automatically that over rules the existence of bugs, since no software is bug-free. People will suck up licensing costs for really good software - so long as the cost is reasonable.

So like Jamrock said:

When the other products have the same level of functionality, people will use cost, etc. as the basis for choosing.
    - and that gents, is a fact.

Default Re: SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1

In all honesty do any of us know anything about lotus ? or domino ? or what features it offeres ? screw exchange man.... whats outside of the box ?

MS is a good software company and an even better marketing company. That being said, IMO Exchange is the BEST thing to ever come out of Redmond.

No one is saying (By no one I mean me) that there aren't better solutions out there, but to belittle exchange with the argument that domino can tie your shoelaces is shortsighted.

It's like saying Basic serves no purpose because you can use C. Now I'm not making the associations of Exhange to Basic and Donmino to C, but you see my point.

Exchange works very nicely for me. Email, calendar, etc. I need nothing more and I wont be changing out any time soon. I just installed OWE a couple weeks ago to allow us to move over some desktops to Linux without loosing exchange interaction.

Default Re: SUSE LINUX

[quote author=GILLION link=board=8;threadid=3098;start=0#msg28998 date=1077720529]
    In all honesty do any of us know anything about lotus ? or domino ? or what features it offeres ? screw exchange man.... whats outside of the box ?
    [/quote]

I've used and managed Lotus Domino for a few years now.
    Anything Exchange can do, Domino can do too. It too can support mobile users and all the other stuff Xeno mentioned.
    See this thread for more details on Lotus Domino
    http://www.techjamaica.com/tech_foru...;threadid=3146

I always rate software based on its popularity. If hundreds of thousands of people have selected one piece of software over another, then there must be a logical reason for the developer's success - usually it's software design (and appropriate marketing).
    Xeno, I'd place marketing as the top reason for the popularity of a software product. Because a product is marketed well doesn't mean it is the best product. And even if a product is popular, that still doesn't mean it is the best product.

Also, if people aren't aware of the alternatives, then they will select the default. I think that's been the case with plenty of people. They know Microsoft and their products, they don't know much about the alternatives. Therefore, they choose the Microsoft product. M$ marketing wins again.

There's a whole world of stuff out there other than M$ products. People, take the time to explore it.