Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1

Default SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1

Someone keeps buggine me about MS Exchange and Linux... hope this helps. Know nothing of it,never used it, heard good things online.

http://www.suse.com/us/business/prod...nge/index.html

--gillion

Default Re: SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1

basically they've done a lot of the work that you would otherwise do yourself to get similar functionality.

The one to watch is http://www.opengroupware.org

Default Re: SUSE LINUXOpenexchange Server 4.1

These products still have a ways to go. Email replacement is no problem. It is Exchange's joint calendars that keeps it above the competitors.

Here is the perspective from Linux Journal.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article....ad&order=0

Default Re: SUSE LINUX Openexchange Server 4.1

what if you stop using MS exchange ? and use something like IBM's latest Lotus software... which doesn't require an upgrade to windows server 2003 and its BIG MONEY liscene ? Why not get in touch with IBM about this ? I hear they were making massive demos of their product. Call them.

--gillion

All I am saying is that Exchange is the market leader for a good reason. When the other products get as good as Exchange, people will migrate.

People still prefer Exchange despite all the good reasons that you have stated. When the other products have the same level of functionality, people will use cost, etc. as the basis for choosing.

Exchange is (more or less) the ONLY reason that my company has a NT 4.0 box sitting in our server room.

I don't believe that M$ Virus Exchange is the market leader because it is a better product. That's like saying Windows is the market leader because it is the better operating system.

All that it is, is that it is more popular.

Lotus Domino is a powerful product that does stuff Exchange can only dream of. You can develop full fledged applications for the web and Notes client, and serve them on a Domino server. Workflow, email, web, IM, doc mgmt. all available in Lotus Domino.

And it runs on Linux!

I'm sure there are other products are just as good as or better than Exchange.

I too have heard good stuff about the Suse product.

Open your minds. Don't believe M$ marketing hype.

[quote author=BlackCryptoKnight link=board=8;threadid=3098;start=0#msg28921 date=1077642054]
    I don't believe that M$ Virus Exchange is the market leader because it is a better product. That's like saying Windows is the market leader because it is the better operating system.

All that it is, is that it is more popular.

Lotus Domino is a powerful product that does stuff Exchange can only dream of. You can develop full fledged applications for the web and Notes client, and serve them on a Domino server. Workflow, email, web, IM, doc mgmt. all available in Lotus Domino.

And it runs on Linux!

I'm sure there are other products are just as good as or better than Exchange.

I too have heard good stuff about the Suse product.

Open your minds. Don't believe M$ marketing hype.
    [/quote]

Yeaaah, but exchange is so nice and comfy. It's like my little blanky.

[quote author=CKnight link=board=8;threadid=3098;start=0#msg28927 date=1077648859]
    Yeaaah, but exchange is so nice and comfy. It's like my little blanky.
    [/quote]

A nice bug-filled blanky with plenty of holes ;D

[quote author=jamrock link=board=8;threadid=3098;start=0#msg28903 date=1077633337]
    All I am saying is that Exchange is the market leader for a good reason. When the other products get as good as Exchange, people will migrate.

People still prefer Exchange despite all the good reasons that you have stated. When the other products have the same level of functionality, people will use cost, etc. as the basis for choosing.
    [/quote]
    I don't believe exchange to be as good as Domino... there is nothing that MS has that I beleive to be the best right now... we are just all locked in.