Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: at what age did you learn to program?

I started programming in C when I was 17 in sixth form and then i started using visual basic 6.0 last month. I suggest starting with a simple language such as visual basic and then stepping up. No age is too old to start learning once the drive is there...

At the age of 30 the only language you should be using is english

You open your outlook or other mail program and email one of your subordinates to write the program for you.

I still don't know how to program, but some books say that visual basic isn't a good beginner program. They say it better to start with something that gives you training in structuring and sets a good example in following rules. Think they pointed to python as one of them.

Thats true to an extent. Visual basic is so simple and well supported that it allows for the development of poor programming habits which can lead to memory leaks etc. However, for simple home purposes it's still the best bet. The amount of help resources u have available to you is phenomenal...

optto Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sutra
    Thats true to an extent. Visual basic is so simple and well supported that it allows for the development of poor programming habits which can lead to memory leaks etc. However, for simple home purposes it's still the best bet. The amount of help resources u have available to you is phenomenal...
    i think he wants to do it professionally

I wanted to start along time ago, around 14 I think, but I got serious about it when I wa around 16. I made a slight mistake by trying to learn C++ as my first language, not that it's impossible, but something like that warrents a lot of dedication, which I didn't really have at the time. All that complex stuff made me very lazy to continue.
    I'm practicing VB now, should master it soon then i'll be back to C++. I think your friend should start with VB, age doesn't really play as a factor, as long as you can stick with the language.

-Des
    .::i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS9700 HSF / MSI GTX 760 OC Gaming / ASUS Maximus VI Hero Z87 / 2x8GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3 / XFX PRO 750W PSU / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, WD 1x500GB, 1x750GB 1x1,000GB / 2xDVD ODD / Sound Blaster Z / EarForce X12 Surround Headset / Logitech G15 Keyboard & MX518 Mouse / 27" Samsung 1080p HDTV::.

1st yr uwi, learnt haskell.....functional language

I started at 17, my first year of UWI, I never did anything on a computer prior to that, not even play pac-man, I started with C, its a great language to start, once you can conquer that and especially pointers, then learning any other language is cheeze cake. The principles are common to all languages.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift ... that is why it is called the present

I wrote my first program at around age 9 in GWBasic.
    Only we can save us.

I did hello world and some basic calculations in C at grade 4.. i think i was 8 - 10 then.