Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DNS Tutorial

was having some problems with the hole dns thing so i got this video tutorial that teaches dns for windows 2000 and 2003 server. i have a much better understanding for the forward and reverse lookup zones and also learnt some new features that are now in 2003 server eg. stub zones. really good stuff. when am thru i'm gonna check the files that windows created and see if they are similar to linux and maybe i'll understand setting up the files for linux.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

Make sure to attend JALUG's Linux admin course. The first sesson deals with DNS.

We go through the theory of DNS. What it does and why it is necessary.

We use a Windows machine and a Linux machine. We show how DNS is configured on Windows and how it is configured on Linux.

We discuss the similarities and differences between both implementations.

The second session deals with DHCP. We take the same approach.

was looking around on the jalug site jus now but i see no mention of the next meeting. when does this admin course begin and where is the venue?
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

The website will have the info. early next week. We are finalizing the details now.

Igodit will be doing a session on Asterisk. Asterisk is a software PBX application. It does voice over IP.

Adjoined Consulting has been a good sponsor. They allow us to use their offices for these presentations. They are located on the 2nd Floor of the Dyoll Building, 40 Knutsford Blvd, Kingston 5. Meetings run from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month.

We will be starting the admin classes in November or December.

ok then i will be looking forward to attending these admin classes. after being thru the tutorials that i have, i have a good understanding of dns in windows and that the best way to go is to create ur dns structure first and then installing active directory. so i will be looking forward to expanding on that knowledge with linux.

I tend to create the DNS infrastructure when I am installing Active Directory.

Windows 200x netwoking needs DNS. When it cannot locate a DNS server during the installation of Active Directory it asks if you want it to set up one. I just say yes and it does all the work for me.

The good thing with Windows is that you really don't need to understand DNS in order to get it working. Linux requires some more knowledge.

igodit Guest

Jamrock, I'm having a problem with my reverse lookup on my DNS

I have multiple zones: 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa, 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa & 2.168.192.in-addr.arpa with two DNS server where my secondary is a cache server. The problem I'm having is that I'm not able to do a reverse lookup on my 0.168.192 zone:
    $ nslookup 192.168.0.1 ns.my-domain.com

As I would not get a response, but I can do so for other zones. The forward look up work fine.

/var/named/0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    $TTL 86400
    @ IN SOA ns1.my-domain.com. admin.my-domain.com. (
    2006092504 ; Serial
    3h ; Refresh
    1h ; Retry
    1w ; Expire
    1h ) ; Minimum
    ;
    @ IN NS ns1.my-domain.com.
    @ IN NS ns2.my-domain.com.
    @ IN NS dns-0.my-domain2.com.
    @ IN NS dns-1.my-domain2.com.

1 IN PTR ns1.my-domain.com.
    1 IN PTR dns-0.my-domain2.com.
    2 IN PTR ns2.my-domain.com.
    2 IN PTR dns-1.my-domain2.com.

/etc/named.conf
    zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
    type master;
    allow-transfer { 192.168.0.2; };
    file "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
    allow-query { any; };
    };

[QUOTE]
    @ IN SOA ns1.my-domain.com. admin.my-domain.com. (
    /QUOTE]

Try this:

0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA ns1.my-domain.com. admin.my-domain.com. (

@ IN NS ns1.my-domain.com.
    @ IN NS ns2.my-domain.com.
    @ IN NS dns-0.my-domain2.com.
    @ IN NS dns-1.my-domain2.com.
    Try this:

0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN NS ns1.my-domain.com.
    0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN NS ns2.my-domain.com.
    0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN NS dns-0.my-domain2.com.
    0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN NS dns-1.my-domain2.com.

1 IN PTR ns1.my-domain.com.
    1 IN PTR dns-0.my-domain2.com.
    2 IN PTR ns2.my-domain.com.
    2 IN PTR dns-1.my-domain2.com.
    What does this section represent? Please post one of the working reverse lookup zones.

igodit Guest

The structure of the other ranges are the same as the one I posted, because the others were made from that initial zone.

I tried the changes, but the result is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    I tend to create the DNS infrastructure when I am installing Active Directory.

Windows 200x netwoking needs DNS. When it cannot locate a DNS server during the installation of Active Directory it asks if you want it to set up one. I just say yes and it does all the work for me.

The good thing with Windows is that you really don't need to understand DNS in order to get it working. Linux requires some more knowledge.
    thats how i first learnt how to do the dns creation but at the time i didnt realy understand the whole dns thing. but going thru the tutorials i have a better understanding of how dns realy works in windows. i also learnt how to create sub zone and then delegate another server to manage the zone. its pretty cool.