Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem hosting from home

Quote Originally Posted by creativepragmatic
    Yes, I have read the thread from beginning to end on more than one occaision. Before I set the NAPT entry suggested above and previously, attempting to connect to my current dynamic IP address takes me to the login prompt for the Speedtouch 536 gateway (10.0.0.138 locally) where I can login and change settings on the modem but my goal is to get it to jump to my Apache Server homepage instead.

When I make the NAPT entries suggested above, Firefox returns a 'Problem loading page' error.
    Connect to your server using your computer name or 127.0.0.1 or localhost. If you testing your connection from the outside of your connection, ask a friend to connect to your ip address.

I have always gotten the same problem trying to connect to my own dynamic ip address. But my friends are able to connect just fine. So I stick with using my computer name which is called HOME.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham
    In a word "yes".

Keep in mind that all port forwarding does is maps a WAN port to a LAN port. It is then up to you to make sure that firewall software, local to that machine, is not blocking traffic and the web server is configured to answer requests from the outside world.

[ That concludes the pre-amble ]

Now we come to your specific configuration. From your description it sounds like you have a Linksys router w/wireless capability. What model is it and how is it connected to your network? The differing IP addresses you mention leads me to believe that you have enabled the connection sharing on both SpeedTouch and LinkSys. Is this assumption correct?
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the tutorial/review. If I am understanding what you wrote, what I need to do is find a way to set my router up so that outside traffic is forwarded away from the gateway address 10.0.0.138 to my server address. For simplicity's sake, I have temporarily connected the server directly to the modem. 'ifconfig' shows its address as 10.0.0.2 and entering 10.0.0.2 in the browser locally brings up the Apache homepage. If I am not mistaken 10.0.0.1 on the router is the USB port and 10.0.0.2 is the network port. When I made the NAPT table entry to route to 10.0.0.2, I noticed that it took a lot longer for the network to time out so I'm making progress but it's late.

I will check the web server and firewall on the machine as you suggested to make sure the firewall and web server can accept connections from outside.

In response to your questions, it is a WRT54G and the DSL source is the Speedtouch 536 with two computers and a VOIP box using up 3 out of the 4 wired ports.

The differing IP addresses you mention leads me to believe that you have enabled the connection sharing on both SpeedTouch and LinkSys. Is this assumption correct?
    I wasn't completely sure what you mean here.

Quote Originally Posted by creativepragmatic
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the tutorial/review. If I am understanding what you wrote, what I need to do is find a way to set my router up so that outside traffic is forwarded away from the gateway address 10.0.0.138 to my server address.
    Looks we are starting to make progress . What Arch_Angel said in his previous post is correct. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, your SpeedTouch [firmware] doesn't support loopback functionality which means you can't access your local web server using the WAN [dynamic address] address from the LAN.

For simplicity's sake, I have temporarily connected the server directly to the modem. 'ifconfig' shows its address as 10.0.0.2 and entering 10.0.0.2 in the browser locally brings up the Apache homepage.
    So far so good.

If I am not mistaken 10.0.0.1 on the router is the USB port and 10.0.0.2 is the network port.
    10.0.0.138 is usually the gateway address but that is easy to verify from any machine connected to the SpeedTouch (ipconfig /all under Windows and ipconfig -a under Linux I think.)

When I made the NAPT table entry to route to 10.0.0.2, I noticed that it took a lot longer for the network to time out so I'm making progress but it's late.
    I would try, as Arch_Angel suggests and see if someone else can get to the web server.

In response to your questions, it is a WRT54G and the DSL source is the Speedtouch 536 with two computers and a VOIP box using up 3 out of the 4 wired ports.
    Ok. We'll tackle this after we get the web server issue sorted out but I take it you normally connect the SpeedTouch 536 to the WAN port on the WRT54G? What is the address range of the devices connected to the WRT54G (192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.x?)
    Last edited by Goucham; Aug 3, 2006 at 12:45 PM.