Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crystal 11 and delphi7

Angry

That my friend is the thing that has me worried. I had this problem when i started the project and the only solution was to install Crystal11 on my development machine to get the problems out the way. i installed MDAC2.8 no less than 3 times and the problem just would not go, that was when i installed crystal and it went away, now its back. The server is a mssql 2000, so it uses the oledb for sql serer = MDAC, so i am not sure whats the deal
    Anything or Anyone that fails to grow will eventually die. {AI}
    -------------------------------------------------
    Tomorrow is the future!
    Today Is the Tomorrow you made Yesterday!{AI}

In the program, how are you accessing the underlying dataset for crystal reports? I am assuming you use a TADOConnection that the crystal components connect to? This because you mentioned OLE DB connector.

Angry

No, no CrystalX1 components dont work like that, they only allow you to view the reports, you use crystal reportbuilder to make the reports and save them. in your application you set the reportname property to the report to view then call the show function.
    Tomorrow is the future!

Well I haven't used crystal reports. Rave and Fast Reports yes so I am just going by what I assume all report builders with a VCL component use. Sorry, best you check business objects to see if anyone encounters this issue.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Blunty Killer
    Well I haven't used crystal reports. Rave and Fast Reports yes so I am just going by what I assume all report builders with a VCL component use. Sorry, best you check business objects to see if anyone encounters this issue.
    I understand, to be honest i only used it bacause the person doing my reports is a crystal fan.I am all checked out, no info on crystal+delphi to help solve this problem. think i will have to start over with somthing else.
    Tomorrow is the future!

It boggles me why so many people are hooked on crystal. However one thing I have learnt is that you truly have to educate your clients to the alternatives. It makes your job easier. So if you could you could point them to sites like:

But always suggest an alternative.

Angry

Actually , i endedup using crystal because the reports were already done using crystal11. I notice as a D7 developer that crystal pampers the MS boys and leave us Delphi developers to fend for ourselves. so dont care there products very much. Plus deploying it is nothing short of hellish will all the COM CRAP YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH.
    Tomorrow is the future!