Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trying to bind a picture box to an access database

yeah respect icymint3, because i tried saving it using the file path but i am not sure if i did it right but it didn't work

you are right, it doesnt allow you to bind to iamge from the dataset (because the types are different i guess).

Note -
    m_IDentificationXMLDB is a strongly typed DataSet
    m_IDentificationXMLDB.Identification is the identification DataTable

i just saved to an xml file because i didnt want to waste time creating an Access Database, and the data access code. but all you would do different is call yourIdentificationDataAdapter.Fill/Update.

i just typed the code - i bound to another field then changed the code in the generated section to "ImageData".

Code:
    	Me.m_uiPbImage.DataBindings.Add(New System.Windows.Forms.Binding("Image", Me.m_IDentificationXMLDB, "Identification.ImageData"))
    i then get the Binding object that corresponds to the Image property of the PictureBox, so i can handle the Parse and Format events.

Code:
    	Private WithEvents m_ImageDataBinding As Binding
    	Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    		Me.m_ImageDataBinding = Me.m_uiPbImage.DataBindings("Image")

Try
    			Me.m_uiPbImage.AllowDrop = True
    			Me.m_IDentificationXMLDB.ReadXml(XMLFileName)
    		Catch
    			Me.m_IDentificationXMLDB.Identification.AddIdentificationRow("", Nothing, "", "", "", "")
    		End Try
    	End Sub
    Implement the parse and Format handlers as follows

Code:
    	Private Sub m_ImageDataBinding_Format(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.ConvertEventArgs) Handles m_ImageDataBinding.Format
    		Try
    			If e.DesiredType Is GetType(Image) Then
    				Dim memstream As New System.IO.MemoryStream(CType(e.Value, Byte()))

e.Value = Image.FromStream(memstream)

memstream.Close()
    			End If
    		Catch ex As Exception
    			e.Value = New System.Drawing.Bitmap(1, 1)
    		End Try
    	End Sub

Private Sub m_ImageDataBinding_Parse(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.ConvertEventArgs) Handles m_ImageDataBinding.Parse
    		Try
    			If e.DesiredType Is GetType(Byte()) Then
    				Dim memstream As New System.IO.MemoryStream

CType(e.Value, Image).Save(memstream, Imaging.ImageFormat.Jpeg)

e.Value = memstream.ToArray

memstream.Close()
    			End If
    		Catch ex As Exception
    			e.Value = Nothing
    		End Try
    	End Sub
    I see why you would have given up though, it took me much longer than i thought was necessary.

this is the important part of the code, i dont know how to get you the rest of the code if you want it :

Code:
    	Private m_XMLFileName As String = "IdentificationDB.xml"
    	Public Property XMLFileName() As String
    		Get
    			Try
    				Return CType(Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("Form1.XMLFileName"), String)
    			Catch
    				Return Me.m_XMLFileName
    			End Try
    		End Get
    		Set(ByVal Value As String)
    			Me.m_XMLFileName = Value
    		End Set
    	End Property

Private Sub btnLoad_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnLoad.Click
    		Try
    			Me.BindingContext(Me.m_IDentificationXMLDB, "Identification").EndCurrentEdit()
    			Me.m_IDentificationXMLDB.WriteXml(XMLFileName)
    		Catch x As Exception
    			MsgBox(x.Message)
    		End Try
    	End Sub

Private Sub btnClose_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnClose.Click
    		Me.Close()
    	End Sub

Private Sub cmdNew_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdNew.Click
    		Me.m_IDentificationXMLDB.Identification.AddIdentificationRow("", Nothing, "", "", "", "")
    	End Sub

Private Sub cmdDelete_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdDelete.Click
    		CType(Me.BindingContext(Me.m_IDentificationXMLDB.Identification).Current, DataRowView).Delete()
    	End Sub

Private Sub m_uiPbImage_DoubleClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles m_uiPbImage.DoubleClick
    		Dim fd As New OpenFileDialog

fd.CheckFileExists = True
    		fd.CheckPathExists = True

fd.Title = "Employee Identification Image"

If fd.ShowDialog() <> DialogResult.OK Then Return

Try
    			Me.m_uiPbImage.Image = Image.FromFile(fd.FileName)
    		Catch
    			MessageBox.Show("Image could not be loaded", "Employee Identification Image Error")
    		End Try
    	End Sub
    if i commented the code then you'd have nothing to do, so i still think you should read the documentation on whatever you do not understand.
    Last edited by icymint3; Jul 23, 2006 at 05:49 PM.
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

is there a way to upload files with your posts?

xwire - crazy avatar!
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

Excellent work icymint!

This one gave me a fight too, and I gave up after thinking it's not possibly.

Well, I did the binding VS2005 like easy, so then I tried the same approach in VS2002. After go through a lot more differences than I expected I finally reached the last important difference, but my attemtpt at binding failed.

The code was in C#
    Code:
    this.pictureBox1.DataBindings.Add(new System.Windows.Forms.Binding("Image", this.dataSet11, "Categories.Picture"));
    What I never think about was to do a Parse and Format handler for the Binding. Great work icymint.

I would like a full code down load too if you are uploading.

This is my non binding implementation for VS2002
    Code:
    //Get all rows with ID above 3 from the table(_Categories)
    //within the dataset(categories)
    DataRow[] drArr = this.dataSet11.Categories.Select("CategoryID>3");

//Get a picture from row 1 & column 4, and store as a bytearray
    byte[] bArr = (byte[])(drArr[0][3]);

//Load to memory stream
    System.IO.MemoryStream memStream = new System.IO.MemoryStream(bArr, 78, 10668);

//Load Image
    Image img = System.Drawing.Bitmap.FromStream(memStream, true);

this.pictureBox1.Image = img;
    full code version in VS2005
    Code:
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Drawing;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace PictureBindDemo
    {
        public partial class Form1 : Form
        {
            public Form1()
            {
                InitializeComponent();
            }

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                // TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'categories._Categories' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
                this.categoriesTableAdapter.Fill(this.categories._Categories);

DataRow[] drArr = this.categories._Categories.Select("CategoryID>3");

//Load to memory stream

//Load Image

try
                {
                    this.categoriesTableAdapter.Insert("Vomitables", "Yuk", new byte[10746]);
                }
                catch(SystemException ex)
                {
                    this.Text = "Picture Bind Demo - error - " + ex.Message;
                }
                try
                {
                    this.categoriesTableAdapter.Update("Yumitables", "Yum", bArr, 9, "Vomitables");
                }
                catch (SystemException ex)
                {
                }

}

private void pictureBox1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                //Get the currency manager for the binding used on the picture box
                CurrencyManager currMng = (CurrencyManager)(this.BindingContext[this.categoriesBindingSource]);

//Use it to change the picture displayed
                if(currMng.Position == (currMng.Count - 1))
                    currMng.Position = 0;
                else
                    currMng.Position++;
            }
        }
    }
    and full code in VS2002
    Code:
    using System;
    using System.Drawing;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Windows.Forms;
    using System.Data;

namespace PictureBind
    {
    	/// <summary>
    	/// Summary description for Form1.
    	/// </summary>
    	public class Form1 : System.Windows.Forms.Form
    	{
    		private System.Windows.Forms.PictureBox pictureBox1;
    		private System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand oleDbSelectCommand1;
    		private System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand oleDbInsertCommand1;
    		private System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand oleDbUpdateCommand1;
    		private System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand oleDbDeleteCommand1;
    		private System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection oleDbConnection1;
    		private System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter oleDbDataAdapter1;
    		private System.Windows.Forms.TextBox textBox1;
    		private PictureBind.DataSet1 dataSet11;
    		/// <summary>
    		/// Required designer variable.
    		/// </summary>
    		private System.ComponentModel.Container components = null;

public Form1()
    		{
    			//
    			// Required for Windows Form Designer support
    			//
    			InitializeComponent();

//
    			// TODO: Add any constructor code after InitializeComponent call
    			//
    		}

/// <summary>
    		/// Clean up any resources being used.
    		/// </summary>
    		protected override void Dispose( bool disposing )
    		{
    			if( disposing )
    			{
    				if (components != null) 
    				{
    					components.Dispose();
    				}
    			}
    			base.Dispose( disposing );
    		}

#region Windows Form Designer generated code
    		/// <summary>
    		/// Required method for Designer support - do not modify
    		/// the contents of this method with the code editor.
    		/// </summary>
    		private void InitializeComponent()
    		{
    			this.pictureBox1 = new System.Windows.Forms.PictureBox();
    			this.dataSet11 = new PictureBind.DataSet1();
    			this.oleDbSelectCommand1 = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand();
    			this.oleDbConnection1 = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection();
    			this.oleDbInsertCommand1 = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand();
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1 = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand();
    			this.oleDbDeleteCommand1 = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand();
    			this.oleDbDataAdapter1 = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter();
    			this.textBox1 = new System.Windows.Forms.TextBox();
    			((System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize)(this.dataSet11)).BeginInit();
    			this.SuspendLayout();
    			// 
    			// pictureBox1
    			// 
    			this.pictureBox1.BorderStyle = System.Windows.Forms.BorderStyle.Fixed3D;
    			//this.pictureBox1.DataBindings.Add(new System.Windows.Forms.Binding("Image", this.dataSet11, "Categories.Picture"));
    			this.pictureBox1.Location = new System.Drawing.Point(16, 16);
    			this.pictureBox1.Name = "pictureBox1";
    			this.pictureBox1.Size = new System.Drawing.Size(172, 120);
    			this.pictureBox1.TabIndex = 1;
    			this.pictureBox1.TabStop = false;
    			this.pictureBox1.Click += new System.EventHandler(this.pictureBox1_Click);
    			// 
    			// dataSet11
    			// 
    			this.dataSet11.DataSetName = "DataSet1";
    			this.dataSet11.Locale = new System.Globalization.CultureInfo("en-JM");
    			this.dataSet11.Namespace = "http://www.tempuri.org/DataSet1.xsd";
    			// 
    			// oleDbSelectCommand1
    			// 
    			this.oleDbSelectCommand1.CommandText = "SELECT CategoryID, CategoryName, Description, Picture FROM Categories";
    			this.oleDbSelectCommand1.Connection = this.oleDbConnection1;
    			// 
    			// oleDbConnection1
    			// 
    			this.oleDbConnection1.ConnectionString = @"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password="""";User ID=Admin;Data Source=J:\DBs\Office10\Samples\Northwind[edit].mdb;Mode=Share Deny None;Extended Properties="""";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Database Password="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=1;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password="""";Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False";
    			// 
    			// oleDbInsertCommand1
    			// 
    			this.oleDbInsertCommand1.CommandText = "INSERT INTO Categories(CategoryName, Description, Picture) VALUES (?, ?, ?)";
    			this.oleDbInsertCommand1.Connection = this.oleDbConnection1;
    			this.oleDbInsertCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("CategoryName", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 15, "CategoryName"));
    			this.oleDbInsertCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Description", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 0, "Description"));
    			this.oleDbInsertCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Picture", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarBinary, 0, "Picture"));
    			// 
    			// oleDbUpdateCommand1
    			// 
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.CommandText = "UPDATE Categories SET CategoryName = ?, Description = ?, Picture = ? WHERE (Categ" +
    				"oryID = ?) AND (CategoryName = ?) AND (Description = ? OR ? IS NULL AND Descript" +
    				"ion IS NULL) AND (Picture = ? OR ? IS NULL AND Picture IS NULL)";
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Connection = this.oleDbConnection1;
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("CategoryName", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 15, "CategoryName"));
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Description", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 0, "Description"));
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Picture", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarBinary, 0, "Picture"));
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_CategoryID", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.Integer, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(10)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "CategoryID", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_CategoryName", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 15,
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Default ...continued

Code:
    System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "CategoryName", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_Description", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Description", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_Description1", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Description", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_Picture", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarBinary, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Picture", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbUpdateCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_Picture1", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarBinary, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Picture", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			// 
    			// oleDbDeleteCommand1
    			// 
    			this.oleDbDeleteCommand1.CommandText = "DELETE FROM Categories WHERE (CategoryID = ?) AND (CategoryName = ?) AND (Descrip" +
    				"tion = ? OR ? IS NULL AND Description IS NULL) AND (Picture = ? OR ? IS NULL AND" +
    				" Picture IS NULL)";
    			this.oleDbDeleteCommand1.Connection = this.oleDbConnection1;
    			this.oleDbDeleteCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_CategoryID", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.Integer, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(10)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "CategoryID", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbDeleteCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_CategoryName", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 15, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "CategoryName", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbDeleteCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_Description", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Description", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbDeleteCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_Description1", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarWChar, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Description", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbDeleteCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_Picture", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarBinary, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Picture", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			this.oleDbDeleteCommand1.Parameters.Add(new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("Original_Picture1", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarBinary, 0, System.Data.ParameterDirection.Input, false, ((System.Byte)(0)), ((System.Byte)(0)), "Picture", System.Data.DataRowVersion.Original, null));
    			// 
    			// oleDbDataAdapter1
    			// 
    			this.oleDbDataAdapter1.DeleteCommand = this.oleDbDeleteCommand1;
    			this.oleDbDataAdapter1.InsertCommand = this.oleDbInsertCommand1;
    			this.oleDbDataAdapter1.SelectCommand = this.oleDbSelectCommand1;
    			this.oleDbDataAdapter1.TableMappings.AddRange(new System.Data.Common.DataTableMapping[] {
    																										new System.Data.Common.DataTableMapping("Table", "Categories", new System.Data.Common.DataColumnMapping[] {
    																																																					  new System.Data.Common.DataColumnMapping("CategoryID", "CategoryID"),
    																																																					  new System.Data.Common.DataColumnMapping("CategoryName", "CategoryName"),
    																																																					  new System.Data.Common.DataColumnMapping("Description", "Description"),
    																																																					  new System.Data.Common.DataColumnMapping("Picture", "Picture")})});
    			this.oleDbDataAdapter1.UpdateCommand = this.oleDbUpdateCommand1;
    			// 
    			// textBox1
    			// 
    			this.textBox1.DataBindings.Add(new System.Windows.Forms.Binding("Text", this.dataSet11, "Categories.CategoryName"));
    			this.textBox1.Location = new System.Drawing.Point(56, 152);
    			this.textBox1.Name = "textBox1";
    			this.textBox1.TabIndex = 2;
    			this.textBox1.Text = "";
    			// 
    			// Form1
    			// 
    			this.AutoScaleBaseSize = new System.Drawing.Size(5, 13);
    			this.ClientSize = new System.Drawing.Size(208, 189);
    			this.Controls.AddRange(new System.Windows.Forms.Control[] {
    																		  this.textBox1,
    																		  this.pictureBox1});
    			this.MaximizeBox = false;
    			this.Name = "Form1";
    			this.SizeGripStyle = System.Windows.Forms.SizeGripStyle.Hide;
    			this.Text = "Picture Bind Demo";
    			this.Load += new System.EventHandler(this.Form1_Load);
    			((System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize)(this.dataSet11)).EndInit();
    			this.ResumeLayout(false);

}
    		#endregion

/// <summary>
    		/// The main entry point for the application.
    		/// </summary>
    		[STAThread]
    		static void Main() 
    		{
    			Application.Run(new Form1());
    		}

private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    		{
    			this.oleDbDataAdapter1.Fill(this.dataSet11);

DataRow[] drArr = this.dataSet11.Categories.Select("CategoryID>3");

//Load to memory stream

//Load Image

try
    			{
    				this.oleDbDataAdapter1.InsertCommand.Parameters["CategoryName"].Value	=	"cat";
    				this.oleDbDataAdapter1.InsertCommand.Parameters["Description"].Value	=	"des";
    				this.oleDbDataAdapter1.InsertCommand.Parameters["Picture"].Value	=	new byte [1024 * 16];

this.oleDbDataAdapter1.InsertCommand.Connection.Open();
    				this.oleDbDataAdapter1.InsertCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();
    				this.oleDbDataAdapter1.InsertCommand.Connection.Close();
    			}
    			catch(System.Exception ex)
    			{
    			}
    		}

private void pictureBox1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    		{
    			CurrencyManager currMng	= (CurrencyManager)this.BindingContext[this.dataSet11, "Categories"];

if(currMng.Position == (currMng.Count - 1))
    				currMng.Position = 0;
    			else
    				currMng.Position++;
    		}
    	}
    }
    Just saying that I tried too but my implementation is not as good as icymints

I read something about the binding, dataset and format parameters earlier today. I thought picture binding could not be done because the code to do this was in the binding dll implementation. That was dumb because I read about building formats and using format parameters to retrieve data.

I never taught about getting under it like how icymint did .

I am reading up more on Format and Parse.

Edit :
    Corrections. There is no format paramters.

This is it
    The Binding class also enables you to format values for display through the Format event and to retrieve formatted values through the Parse event.

i will email u the code. is there an upload utility for techjamaica?

Thanks, I will try to put it up on a site some how.

could you e-mail it to owayneb (i'm at work now and dont have access to the code), i didnt get to email it to him last night because my adsl a move a way (anxiously awaiting flow).
    i will upload it later, but you guys have to download one file at a time because my free server does not allow upload of archives, it extracts then as soon as it uploads.
    Last edited by icymint3; Jul 24, 2006 at 10:06 AM.