Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux desktop distributions are headed in the wrong direction

Default Linux desktop distributions are headed in the wrong direction

Couldn't agree more

Even though pundits and programmers alike seem to disagree with me, I think the future of GNULinux desktop computing does not lie in making existing programs more feature-packed and graphically entertaining. The future is where it has always been -- in achieving a higher degree of usefulness to the people who use computers for more than just programming. Recently, software developers have become shortsighted and distracted by "feature envy" in the months leading up to the Windows Vista release. I can't wait until that's over; maybe then I can look forward to some truly innovative software, rather than workalikes and lookalikes of programs I left the Windows world to escape.
    Simplicity is powerful.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Good article.

Linux has stripped down distros designed for use with firewalls. The Smoothwall installation is simple and to the point. There are no extra features. Every function is related to the job of being a firewall.

Perhaps it would be possible to develop a desktop Linux. No DNS server capabilites, no Samba server capabilities, no mail server capabilities. Just features required to make a desktop work.

I must add that I don't want anyone messing with the distros I use as servers. Those work fine for me. Anyone with networking training/experience can use them.

yeh makes alot of sense, it would definatly kill the age old statement regarding linux ( i dont want to type in a terminal for hours do do simple things ) its what a few friends of mine say when they see me updating my machine, or doing mysql cli sessions. and seeing that linux is free i think it would definatly up the popularity level of the os

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    Good article.
    Perhaps it would be possible to develop a desktop Linux. No DNS server capabilites, no Samba server capabilities, no mail server capabilities. Just features required to make a desktop work.
    I would love that as well.

Linux programmers nuh tired of hearing this argument now?

I started using linux and gave up (soon to start again) simply because of what was stated int his article. The fact remains that windows will always dominate because its so damn user friendly, installing anything is so much easier when all you have to do is double click and press next (compared to installing rpms or tar.gz files)

I really love linux and consider myself a decent user of the o/s, but the linux community must realize that them not goin nowhere if them dont change. Right now Suse to me is better than windows except for the functionality issues. I had to reinstall ma bretherin suse 10 installation over and over becuz of the blasted xgl/compiz rubbish (which i still haven't gotten to work). Come on programmers, your numbers are greater than the microsoft numbers (an entire community compared to an entire office), build us a better o/s
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

point is tho, that people keep forgetting what linuxwas made for.. they still wanna keep that in the desktop ports, and quite frankly i dont mind it. but thats jsut me compared to the world.

But what was linux made for? The idea i have always gotten (tell me if i'm wrong here) is that it was developed to give users a choice
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Skillachi
    ... I had to reinstall ma bretherin suse 10 installation over and over becuz of the blasted xgl/compiz rubbish (which i still haven't gotten to work). ...
    XGL/Compiz is still unstable as they will tell you, it is basically use at your own risk right now.
    Granted i have it working it it's going on great
    The limits you are living with right now, in very aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions.
    And they are holding you back.
    You are capable of far more than you think you are.

But what was linux made for? The idea i have always gotten (tell me if i'm wrong here) is that it was developed to give users a choice
    Perhaps this will explain

http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26570