Thread: New worm threat

Default New worm threat

I just got this in an email from the networking guys at my workplace, hope you find it useful.

Be aware, a new Worm is circulating via the internet using the Yahoo email service. The payload of the worm does not appear to be malicious to your computer, however it spreads by sending itself to all contacts listed in your Yahoo email contacts. The worm also sends your email address and those in your contact list to a remote website that is harvesting email addresses to send SPAM to.

This worm takes advantage of an unpatched/unfixed problem in the Yahoo mail service, except the new Yahoo Mail Beta. This is classified as a Zero Day exploit. A zero-day exploit is one that takes advantage of a security vulnerability on the same day that the vulnerability becomes generally known.

Symantec is detecting this worm as JS.Yamanner@m and is only detected and prevented by manually updating to the latest Virus DAT files. Note: Symantec releases automatic Virus DAT updates weekly on Wednesday.

If you receive an email with the structure of what is described below, simply delete it without opening it. This exploit will trigger simply by reading the email.

1. Arrives on the compromised computer as an HTML email containing Javascript. The email may have the following characteristics:

Subject: New Graphic Site
    Message body: Note: forwarded message attached.

2. Once the email is opened the worm exploits a vulnerability in the Yahoo email service to run a script.

3. Sends a copy of itself to certain email addresses gathered from the Yahoo email folders.

4. Targets email addresses from the @yahoo.com and @yahoogroups.com domains.

5. Contacts an email harvesting website

6. Sends a list of email addresses gathered to the email harvesting website.
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

thanx for the info...now i have to tell my friends...
    The world can be a better place.....
    1st. believe

Smile

Thanks for the information, just got to make sure this doesn't happent to me or my friends who are using Yahoo!
    "I don't procrastinate! I just manage my available time in an inefficient manner!"

Quote Originally Posted by Anaarki
    I just got this in an email from the networking guys at my workplace, hope you find it useful.
    Man!, thanx for the advise.........................

Default Yahoo says e-mail worm now contained

SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- Yahoo Inc. said Tuesday it has contained a malicious program aimed at the millions of people who use its e-mail service, which ranks as the world's largest.

The worm, dubbed "Yamanner," infected a recipient's computer as soon as the toxic e-mail was opened. It then scanned contact lists for additional targets, according to security software maker Symantec Corp.
    Read full story: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...ahoo_Worm.html
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008