Thread: Ups and down with my Walls

Default Ups and down with my Walls

Hi,

Now I have been through the 3rd firewall and still paranoid as usual. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do think Zone Alarm as the edge. However I had some problems when trying to installing it. After successfully removing the Program I tried reinstalling it again but got a message saying turn off TrueVector service in the service manager before installation can continue. Since I am Running XP Pro My default thinking took me to the services list i.e. right click My Computer| Manage|Services and Application| services but there was no such running service called TrueVector. Thumbs down for Zone there. I like the message prompts that it gives you in a pop fashion when there is an attempted intrution or extrution. I sometimes carry out a WhoIS look up to find out DNS of the intrusive IP, Using NetMonitor, they are other networking software that as this function. This firewall seem to be the only comprehensive bi-protective software Firewall, again friend correct if I am wrong.

The other firewalls such as tiny personal firewall and Outpost firewall doesn’t have that intuitive configuration feature like zone, They also seem lean more on outgoing pockets than incoming. There are some good stuff however that will mention, one such is the ease of uninstalling.

If anyone knows a great firewall please let me know.

One Love,
    Kacey
    JaLUG.

Default Re:Ups and down with my Walls

I have been hearing good things about Zone Alarm Pro.

This comes from people who use it as well as from product reviews in trade magazines and Tech TV.

I haven't heard of anyone with installation problems.

kacey have you got the kazza download copy?.....
    When you installed did you try to run the update?....
    Try uninstalling again and close the zone from the icon in the icon tray and then delete the program folder file...eg c:\program files\zone\

Reboot and try reinstalling.....

Ive been using Norton for about 2 years now, and I just recently switched over to Sygate. I did some benchmarks and Sygate causes almost no reduction in my connection speed unlike NIS.

You can try BlackICE, this is a pretty neat and respectable firewall also. Rated by many over Zone Alarm.