Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why Microsoft will reign over opensource

Quote Originally Posted by CGPGroup
    yeah I suspect its the system. it is an older machine PIII 800MHZ with 256 MB RAM... actually after I type that, I realize that those specs arent that bad.

I will let you guys know what happens later...

do you guys recommend a particular distro?
    Those specs are more than enough to install Ubuntu - look at my signature. I suggest before you start bashing Linux you first check out the installation documentation - RTFM! Next make sure your hardware is working correctly. Then if/when u have a REAL problem then post error messages/screenshots. Makes no sense posting a general comment like that because of ignorance.
    OS X/Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by digerati
    Those specs are more than enough to install Ubuntu - look at my signature. I suggest before you start bashing Linux you first check out the installation documentation - RTFM! Next make sure your hardware is working correctly. Then if/when u have a REAL problem then post error messages/screenshots. Makes no sense posting a general comment like that because of ignorance.
    dude nobody is bashing anything... as much as you guys like to rage against windows, XP SP2 was on that machine and it worked fine...

I expected Linux to load with no problems, which it didnt. After 5 hours and 6 different installs, 4 for mandriva and 2 for Ubuntu... I have the right to be peeved..
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by CGPGroup
    dude nobody is bashing anything... as much as you guys like to rage against windows, XP SP2 was on that machine and it worked fine...

I expected Linux to load with no problems, which it didnt. After 5 hours and 6 different installs, 4 for mandriva and 2 for Ubuntu... I have the right to be peeved..
    Their issue is that you were initially blaming the software for the problems you
    were experiencing with your set up.

no one is bashing windows cgpgroup.

the live cd, is running off the cd and ram, but i find it pretty fast when i use it. maybe its the limited amount of ram ur system has.

lol. and no, there is no such thing as a windows live cd.
    Macbook Core Duo 1.83ghz
    OS X 10.4.10 - 1.25gb Ram

Default I don't think anyone is bashing linux

I think he has a valid title here
    why Microsoft will reign over opensource
    I have successfully installed and used linux, and the simple fact is, to install windows is a lot simpler and a whole lot more straight-forward than with linux.

I don't think he was bashing linux, he's just saying that until linux has a distro, or a few distro's that are as simple and straight-forward as windows, then windows/Microsoft will always dominate. The simple fact of the matter is, not everyone will be a whiz like you guys are. I do understand that linux isn't made by just one single company like windows is, but until those coders can come together and decide that they are gonna adapt at least this one thing that microsft does and make the use of the software simpler, then people are always gonna shun opensource. I also understand that with linux, its basically just giving the freedom to do whatever you want with the software, but not everyone needs all that functionality. They should decide to hide some of that **** and give regular users something they can work with.
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

If you asked someone who have never installed windows before to install it I'm sure they wont find it a walk in park.. Same with Linux!!

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    If you asked someone who have never installed windows before to install it I'm sure they wont find it a walk in park.. Same with Linux!!
    Tried that already and Windows won on installation.
    Person was a 15 year old boy, didn't use computers b4 except Apple Macintosh & IBM PS2
    That bwoy was ME!

What is going to happen is that M$ users are going to say "Linux is too hard"
    Linux users are going to say "Linux is for elite, REAL, technology people".
    Whats going to happen...
    M$ WIN
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    Take my advice. Stick to Windows. With an attitude like that, you will never learn Linux.
    Ummm .... seriously ... you do not need to be reading my books okay !!!

Did anybody ever stop to consider that most linux distributions are deisgned to install with Windows in mind ?

You never find a distro that will wipe your hard drive clean and automatically partition it for you as it feels fit. It asks you questions. Questions that most people can't be bothered to answer.

This is because most linux users dual boot and some can't afford to scrub their windows install.

However When you install windows, once you just click default, default default, it doesn't not take into consideration any other type of operating system or file system you have ... it just over runs the machine and does whatever it feels like with the MBR

People find it easier to install windows because people take windows as the default and so whatever is the default setting they just choose.

Linux installers asks too many damn questions of the users just to make sure it doesn't mess up the rest of the system. Very few people click default default default on a Linux install ... however since I do not have windows on my machines I just put in the CD click default and thats it.

It is as easy as windows ... because I do not dual boot.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    Not true really ... if Linux is going to be installed on a dual boot machine it will ask more questions than most people are willing to answer. If you have a non-dual boot situation then I beleive your statement is correct.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jun 6, 2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

I have successfully installed and used linux, and the simple fact is, to install windows is a lot simpler and a whole lot more straight-forward than with linux.

I don't think he was bashing linux, he's just saying that until linux has a distro, or a few distro's that are as simple and straight-forward as windows, then windows/Microsoft will always dominate. The simple fact of the matter is, not everyone will be a whiz like you guys are. I do understand that linux isn't made by just one single company like windows is, but until those coders can come together and decide that they are gonna adapt at least this one thing that microsft does and make the use of the software simpler, then people are always gonna shun opensource. I also understand that with linux, its basically just giving the freedom to do whatever you want with the software, but not everyone needs all that functionality. They should decide to hide some of that **** and give regular users something they can work with.

Are you comparing Linux with Windows XP/2000 Professional or Windows 200x server?

The first time I loaded Linux, it loaded straight without any problems. I have never had a problem loading it. I am curious to see what issues you are having.

What details can you provide?
    Last edited by jamrock; Jun 7, 2006 at 07:22 AM.

Man dem sound like them want to help now...wow
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards