Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why Microsoft will reign over opensource

look how many people have no problems cgpgroup. maybe its your system (partitioning, could be your hard drive). did you look into linuxforums for help??
    Macbook Core Duo 1.83ghz
    OS X 10.4.10 - 1.25gb Ram

Quote Originally Posted by digitalchef
    look how many people have no problems cgpgroup. maybe its your system (partitioning, could be your hard drive). did you look into linuxforums for help??
    yeah I suspect its the system. it is an older machine PIII 800MHZ with 256 MB RAM... actually after I type that, I realize that those specs arent that bad.

I will let you guys know what happens later...

do you guys recommend a particular distro?
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by CGPGroup
    yeah I suspect its the system. it is an older machine PIII 800MHZ with 256 MB RAM... actually after I type that, I realize that those specs arent that bad.

try knoppix, you dont even have to install anything!

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    try knoppix, you dont even have to install anything!
    Hmmm .... I am convinced pogi, you are beyond help.

Quote Originally Posted by CGPGroup

Suse, Mandriva, Ubuntu/Debian or Fedora are actually the top distros.

9 times out of 10 when a linux distro, ANY DISTRO. fails to install on a computer it is because of:

1 partition problems

2 some strange hardware problems even at the BIOS level

In your case, one can only guess since you didn't bother to take a note of the problem so that you could report it in detail here.

As pogi suggested run a live (on cd) distro on the computer in question see if that works.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jun 6, 2006 at 01:58 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    No I don't. I cannot sound as stern as you. You once called someone an "unwashed heathen". I am far too polite to do that.

LMAO LMAO.. gillion the noob pwner, i remember at one time i honestly was afraid of asking questions in the nix thread because of gillion and his harsh ways to linux newbs
    Last edited by death_knight; Jun 6, 2006 at 11:24 AM.

You don't understand how to install a distro and so Microsoft will reign over opensource.

I see...

Why are you trying to install Linux? Wouldn't it be better for you to stick to Windows? I hear it is a lot easier to use.
    LOL LOL yah im in total agreement..

Seems CGPGroup has a vendetta.. and the Linux and OSS community can do without you brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion
    Suse, Mandriva, Ubuntu/Debian or Fedora are actually the top distros.

9 times out of 10 when a linux distro, ANY DISTRO. fails to install on a computer it is because of:

1 partition problems

2 some strange hardware problems even at the BIOS level

In your case, one can only guess since you didn't bother to take a note of the problem so that you could report it in detail here.

As pogi suggested run a live (on cd) distro on the computer in question see if that works.
    I used the Ubuntu live CD before I tried installing it. it was slow as molasses rolling uphill. I think the problem is with the Machine. I am going to dump it and get something better later on. I dont want to tinker with my laptop since it is my main mode of working...

Take my advice. Stick to Windows. With an attitude like that, you will never learn Linux.

On the topic of live cds and slow.. has anybody ever tried to use a MS windows live cd?

Take my advice. Stick to Windows. With an attitude like that, you will never learn Linux.
    Attitude like what? I am just stating what happened to me. wouldnt you be peeved also if you spent over 5 hours trying to do something that should take MAXIMUM 30-45 mins? (and still failed).

and for your information I have used linux before so I am not a total noob, I used red hat 7 awhile back (About 5 years ago when I had dialup and could not get online because it didnt support soft modem).

like I said let me see if I have better luck tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    On the topic of live cds and slow.. has anybody ever tried to use a MS windows live cd?
    is there such a thing?
    Last edited by ramesh; Jun 6, 2006 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Merged multiple posts