Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: why Microsoft will reign over opensource

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    He was deeply involved in the development of DOS for IBM
    this makes me realize you have no idea what you are talking about. MS did not build DOS.

Bill and Steve Jobs are Business men with techical knowledge, not the other way around. and by-the-way a software architecture does not build software. it is a very high-leve principle.

All those companies that were started by Engineers, succeeded in their earlier days only because the "solved a problem", and the product or service the provided was needed. once the market is saturated, it takes real business men, to keep the company afloat.
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

this makes me realize you have no idea what you are talking about. MS did not build DOS.
    I apologize if I am providing incorrect information. Here are my sources.

MS-DOS (for Microsoft Disk Operating System) is an operating system commercialized by Microsoft. It was the most widely used member of the DOS family of operating systems and was the dominant operating system for the PC compatible platform during the 1980s. It has gradually been replaced on consumer desktop computers by various generations of the Windows operating system.

MS-DOS was originally released in 1981 and had eight major versions released before Microsoft stopped development in 2000. It was the key product in Microsoft's growth from a programming languages company to a diverse software development firm, providing the company with essential revenue and marketing resources.
    IBM and Microsoft both released versions of DOS; the IBM version was supplied with the IBM PC and known as PC-DOS. Originally, IBM only validated and packaged Microsoft developments, and thus IBM's versions tended to be released shortly after Microsoft's. However, MS-DOS 4.0 was actually based on IBM PC-DOS 4.0, as Microsoft was by then concentrating on OS/2 development.[citation needed] Microsoft released its versions under the name "MS-DOS", while IBM released its versions under the name "PC-DOS." Initially, when Microsoft would license their OEM version of MS-DOS, the computer manufacturer would customize its name (i.e. TandyDOS, Compaq DOS, etc). Most of these versions were identical to the official MS-DOS; however, Microsoft began to insist that OEMs start calling the product MS-DOS. Eventually, only IBM resisted this move.
    These quotes were taken from the following article on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

Please provide me with more accurate sources so I can advise Wikipedia to update their information.

Bill and Steve Jobs are Business men with techical knowledge, not the other way around. and by-the-way a software architecture does not build software. it is a very high-leve principle.
    If you read the articles I have posted you will see that Gillion is correct. Both were formally educated in technology before they started their business operations.

Please provide us with documentation to support your argument.
    Last edited by jamrock; Jan 1, 2007 at 10:30 AM.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaha
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    I apologize if I am providing incorrect information. Here are my sources.
    you should apologize. here is some more information from your same source you failed to mention.

MS-DOS began as QDOS (for Quick and Dirty Operating System), written by Tim Paterson for computer manufacturer Seattle Computer Products (SCP) in 1980. It was marketed by SCP as 86-DOS because it was designed to run on the Intel 8086 processor. QDOS function calls were based on the dominant CP/M-80 operating system, written by Digital Research, but it used a different file system. In a sequence of events that would later inspire much folklore, Microsoft negotiated a license for QDOS from SCP in December 1980 for $25,000, then re-licensed QDOS to IBM. Microsoft then acquired all rights to QDOS for only $50,000 from SCP in July, 1981, shortly before the PC's release.
    Last edited by CGPGroup; Jan 5, 2007 at 08:54 AM.
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

i thought it was about MS-DOS, regardless of what it started as whether it WAS QDOS, RDOS or SDOS?
    if God is for YOU, who can be against YOU.
    BB PIN: 20D00C88
    BlackBerry® Alliance Member
    BOLD 9000 - O.S. - 5.0.0.610

you should apologize. here is some more information from your same source you failed to mention.
    i thought it was about MS-DOS, regardless of what it started as whether it WAS QDOS, RDOS or SDOS?
    Thank you Drake. I am glad you understand.