Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: PS3 hardware slow and broken

It's no secret that the PlayStation 3 is going to cost Sony a fortune to mass produce, but Kutaragi is hopeful that costs can be reduced. To begin with, he said that he expects the Cell chip to adopt a 65-nanometer process sometime next year, allowing it to be reduced in size. Also, the Cell processor will utilize Tranmeta's LongRun power-management technology to keep power consumption as low as possible. Power consumption is of utmost importance to keeping costs down, Kutaragi noted. "If we can't reduce [power consumption]," he stated, "we will never be able to make the PS3 cheap and small."

Finally, Kutaragi talked about how to cool the Cell processor, and judging by his comments, one might think that Sony would make the power supply external for the PlayStation 3, similar to the Xbox 360's infamous power brick, which is almost as tall as the Microsoft console itself.

"We'll use heat pipes and a custom cooling solution, but the methods used will be common," he said. "We definitely aren't using any proprietary methods... We certainly couldn't fit a liquid cooling system [inside the PS3]... We're spending a lot on heat and electromagnetic interference [management]. The power supply could almost be sold separately."
    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12964
    404 error: Signature Not Found

Quote Originally Posted by zRo ToLeRaNcE
    @Cloud

DAMN BEDRIN!
    Can you please use Punctuations (even just full stops would be nice)
    and Capitalizations (not as important as full stops and/or commas)

DWL and make it easy for yall???? HELL NOO joke i would honestly i should know better being an exelent english student n i did gp and all but u know when lazines tek u solife go DWL

im sorry yall need to accept streths n weaknesses but the reduced write rat for ps3 will pose a sever problem sory sony fan i like sony too but yall need to understand this

physx proccessing is now becoming a new standard
    the cell in the ps3 was suposed to help out with physx and it would have been a great idea to put those dam extra pipes to work cause programmming for multi core is very difficult!!! n that would take some strain off

but because of reduced write rate this could realy bottle neck the whole procces even leave the ps3 to not bother using a physx system making most developers not wanna develope for it in the long run

i personally love playstaion game n dont wanna see this happen caus it has a truly wonderful gpu!! n a cpu that is ahead of its time

only lacking physx support and the ability to do hdr and AA it has almost every other aspect u could want super multi tasking blue ray dvd rom drive
    a hard drive(they need to be bigger!!!!)

from what i know dont take this the wrong way people but i think the Wii will be the best console out their missing only 2 elements a blu laser dvd drive and a hard drive

but no one knows the specs of the Wii but i know how nintendo is they have a superiority complex
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jun 15, 2006 at 02:06 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts

@cloud9ja
    This youth wicked eee star...?!?!....him use all the punctactions instead of Full Stop (.) and Comma (,).

LOL!

And as him say, him trying to spite us...isn't this some break of forum posting rules or something...???...lol
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by zRo ToLeRaNcE
    @cloud9ja
    This youth wicked eee star...?!?!....him use all the punctactions instead of Full Stop (.) and Comma (,).

LOL!

And as him say, him trying to spite us...isn't this some break of forum posting rules or something...???...lol
    DWL dont go their them ban me way 2 many times!!!!!! i cant deal with being ban again!!!!!!! DWL hahahahahaahaa

so i dont like to use them 2 their not my fault but just to make u happy zero

her let me use them for u an a whole lot too

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,

.................................................. .................................................. ..

i hope ur happy their yah go

Quote Originally Posted by cloud9ja
    DWL dont go their them ban me way 2 many times!!!!!! i cant deal with being ban again!!!!!!! DWL hahahahahaahaa

so i dont like to use them 2 their not my fault but just to make u happy zero

her let me use them for u an a whole lot too

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,

.................................................. .................................................. ..

i hope ur happy their yah go
    remember wii using ati chip which does physics (UBISOFT devs chat too much lol), so I am sure PS3 will be using it as well, if not in launch titles then later.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

ps3 using a physx chip? how? do tell nvidia doesnt do physx lol

unles sony remakes their system they in a jam

Nvidia claims the next chips they have out will do on chip phyics, they were commenting on story about that company who wants to sell stand-alone physics chips for like $250 US.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

The PS3 doesn't need a PhysX PPU or GPU base physics because the Cell SPEs are good at running physics calculations. The Xbox 360 can run physics calculations on 1 or 2 of its VMX128 units. Its can also run physics calculations on its ATI GPU. As for the Wii I'm guessing it can run the physics calculations on its ATI GPU but in an interview with a Wii developer the developer said that the Wii has build-in physics that could mean in software or hardware.
    404 error: Signature Not Found

yes and no maff3000

remember the ps3 will have reduced bandwith in writing speeds thats the main problem if it was say more even like 8write 16 read the yea but its only 4write physics is all about writing so thats a prob right theire
    plus the 360 uses unified mem so it can be alocated as needed way better