Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 hardware slow and broken

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people
    404 error: Signature Not Found

Quote Originally Posted by psybuck2002us
    Looks like Sony better go back to the drawing board and stop patching this failure of a PS3. They should just accept defeat this time and come with something better. Their console have always been reliable and well designed. I doubt they would want to lose that reputation.
    I think they know what they're doing......meaning..if they knew that the current design of the PS3 is not working out...they would have re-designed it already (or at least started to re-design it... so i still think they're gonna blow the 360 away..
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe MBoard | AMD Phenom II x4 920 | ZALMAN 9700 CPU Cooler | G-SKILL 4GB DDR 800 Dual Channel Memory | WD 250GB & 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA HDDs | XFX 5870 1GB | Corsair 650W Single Rail PSU | Samsung SATA DVD-RW | Samsung T260 26" Monitor | MITSUMI Floppy Drive w/ Digital Card Readers | Thermaltake Armor+ FULL Tower Case

the saga continues

anything is posible in the world on console gaming right now and anyone of the big three can come out on top when the smoke clears

I hope the PS3 gets it's act together....the have only 5 months to do it
    Last edited by Zard; Jun 12, 2006 at 03:07 PM.

It takes at least a year to redesign a chip. The Cell main problems is heat, power consumption and low yields. Its to late for Sony to redesign the Cell. they just got to do the quick fixes and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by maf3000
    It takes at least a year to redesign a chip. The Cell main problems is heat, power consumption and low yields. Its to late for Sony to redesign the Cell. they just got to do the quick fixes and hope for the best.

they better fix it!

i refuse to believe that all this hype about the power of the cell was a stunt and what about all the talk of incorporating the cell into other electronic devices such as PDAs and phones etc

I wonder what the next official corportate release from sony pertaining to the cell will be like

Quote Originally Posted by Zard
    i refuse to believe that all this hype about the power of the cell was a stunt and what about all the talk of incorporating the cell into other electronic devices such as PDAs and phones etc

I wonder what the next official corportate release from sony pertaining to the cell will be like
    And you believe them they said the same thing about the Emotion Engine. The only other release for the Cell is IBM will put it in Blade servers. By the time cell become cheap newer and cheaper tech will replace it.

I see the dumbass author hasn't published a retraction for that piece of crap journalism.

The "local memory" in that chart refers to the RSX's local memory. It shows that the CPU reads from RSX memory slowly.

Slow CPU reads from the framebuffer is not news, it's a fact of life even on the PC.

EDIT: Rather than my last blanket statement here is why this is not news:

That read speed shown is when reading the *Video RAM* from the Cell. It's not when using system ram (which is much, much faster). BTW, reading the video ram from the CPU doesn't really happen much.
    Last edited by leoandru; Jun 12, 2006 at 06:29 PM.

I see you read the gamesindustry.biz story i saw it too but thought it wasn't important because the author said "local memory" not "main memory" and the author said main memory is 25 gbs witch is right. Simple misunderstanding of "local store". The slides meant GDDR-Memory, the Inquirer thought SPE-Localstores. The Cell is good at graphics and will not be able to help RSX but the RSX can access main memory so it can copy the data over to the 256mb xdr. Its a console not a PC, consoles have limited system memory. All that duplication can't be a good thing. With limited access vram you can also count out procedural synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru

That read speed shown is when reading the *Video RAM* from the Cell. It's not when using system ram (which is much, much faster). BTW, reading the video ram from the CPU doesn't really happen much.
    Ultimate techie
    Please Explain why you never need to read much from vid ram to CPU on a console ?

Plus if it is not important and the author is a bone head why then say :
    this will be fixed by production steppings, so take measures X, Y and Z"
    Considering the reason why Sonic on the 16 (really 8) bit Sega Genesis ran so fast was precisely beacuse they bypassed the Main ram and did r/w from Video Ram!, remember they came out with a marketing buzzword "blast processing" ? That is exactly what that was doing, which resulted in huge sprite drawing speed increases!

This is how a PC Works=

This is how a console works=

Notice where the Main ram is as opposed to a PC?, So fast R/W speeds are important, unless Cell works differently than every other console since Atari days !
    Last edited by Nestersan; Jun 12, 2006 at 07:58 PM.
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

Just stop and consider the way a GPU works.. to simply put it GPU is more often written to than read from. Reading data BACK from the GPU memory is not a much used feature. A lot of noise about nothing. Writing speed is what matters. Im not even sure who would want to read from the GPU memory! BTW that READ rate is about the same as a 16bit ISA slot that would make it impossible to run any modern game!
    Last edited by leoandru; Jun 12, 2006 at 08:33 PM.