Thread: What is wrong with the Police?

Default What is wrong with the Police?

Phillips says sorry. again

Observer Reporter
    Friday, January 16, 2004

For the second time in three months, National Security Minister Peter Phillips has had to apologise for a fatal police shooting.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...RRY__AGAIN.asp

Cops shoot, cripple elderly woman
    Doctors say woman shot by cops may never walk again

Observer Reporter
    Friday, January 16, 2004

TWO policemen were off the streets and facing internal investigations last night, having shot and crippled 60 year-old Viola Barrett in Lacovia, St Elizabeth on Wednesday when they opened fire on a car in which three of the five passengers were at least 60 years-old.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...ERLY_WOMAN.asp

Right now I just feel sick :'( >

Why are people without the capacity to think clearly and act sensibly chosen for jobs which require high degrees of integrity, intellect and honesty ???

Why are people without respect for human life chosen to carry weapons of death and destruction with licences to kill indescriminately ???

<Prayer>
    God, please deliver us from this suffering
    </Prayer>

:'(

Default Re:What is wrong with the Police?

Seriously i think that the police are to blame for a lot of our problems, at times mi feel sey wi fi get rid a di whol a dem and pay some bad man protection money (I do not mean this comment - simply expressing the anguish I feel at times)

I saw that story on News Last night(Jan 15)
    It seems the driver was signalled to stop but sped off the police gave chase.........Thay should not have discharged thier weapons they in this scenario....Its not like the occupants of the car fired at them!!!

It now seems like the car was unlicenced uninsured etc....Some serious Jali House soup for the Driver!!! >

Too much movies?

Its funny though, if you have a prowler in your house at 3:00 in the morning, who you gonna call?

Some one stole your car, who you gonna call ? (well the I have not been bless with a car yet but i Look forward to it )

Just tell the police sey yuh gonna kill the prowler them an see how fas them come to stop you.

One evening, when I was living in a particular apartment complex, I came home to see a group of the residents just dispersing after catching a crackhead thief on the compound and delivering to him a sound beating. Apparently that was the second one there for the day.

I heard that when the police were called after the second one was caught, the police advised the residents that they were probably better off killing the thief since all that would happen if he was arrested is that he would clog up the system and probably be out soon again anyway.

That kind of thinking really dissappoints me. :-\

I know that there are good cops on the force. But I cannot understand what takes place in the heads of some cops. Why is it they find it so hard to treat citizens like human beings?

If you're trying to stop a car and it doesn't stop, but nobody is shooting at you from it, why shoot at the car? Did it not occur to somebody that maybe the people didn't yet realize they were being asked to stop? Where did this shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later attitude come from?

I recall and incident on campus in which plain clothed police accosted and assaulted some students on campus because "they looked suspicious". When the students asked the cops for ID (because after all, if somebody stops you and asks you for ID but they're not dressed like a policeman, you have a right to ask who they are), the cops pulled their guns, shoved them in the students faces and told them that was their ID.

Fortunately other students saw what happened, and knew the poor victims. They decended upon the police and made sure the cops knew they were being watched and would not allow any news report about students engaged in shootouts with cops to be fabricated.

When the cops were asked why they didn't identify themselves properly with their badges, their reply was that if they did that, then criminals would run away :-X

Logic like that is simply mind boggling : :-\

I heard a news report on Zip FM radio this morning. There was a robbery in St. Ann at a Nestle place, where 2 gunmen stole money. While the robbery was in progress, someone called the police.
    The police took 1 hour to reach. >
    The officers said they didn't have any vehicle at the time so they couldn't come when called. :-\
    The police station was 3 minutes walk away from the scene of the robbery. :-X