Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which Language First?

no AI its actually funny..

owen, thanx for that link, i just really wanna create free software.. i dont particularly wanna be paid to create them, the ideal would be several spare time projects, or as some might say ==> freeware, on the scale and quality of firefox, thats the goal..wish i was good at this stuff.
    1nsp1ron: Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz 2MB L2|GM965 Express|2 GB DDR2 667|70.1 GB SATA|DVD±RW|14.1 TFT Display|Intel GMA X3100|Windows 7 Ultimate

@juiceheadband, listen up to this story,

nuff of us only use a subset of skills on a regular basis.

VS C++ Express Edition can write code for XBox360, Open MP (parallel programing), WindowsXP/2003 Server, Lego Robots, and then some. However, no one, not even the experts, would try to do so much things. They only learn the foundation and then deal with their interests alone.

VC++ Express has access to a wide library. You can download the Platform SDK for WindowXP/2003. This includes DirectX, Windows Media Servces, and everything needed for Windows applications. No one has to learn all of this, just a select few. Knowing the basics will give you the understanding to do what you want. MFC is not the basics, FYI, neither is it necessary.

Perhaps MFC has been phased out. I remember seeing it in the latest VS going on strong, and their was talks about having it phased out. For me, it cannot be phased out because I can write an application using it, at anytime, but I so much rather use DotNet instead. (Naturally only MFC peeps could modify my application from open source code.)

Learn basics that are in books like this, only choose one, they are all the same:
    C++ How to Program, 5/e - Table of Contents
    Visual C# 2005 How to Program, Second Edition
    Java How to Program, 6/e
    There are 3 different languages that all share the basic ideas about formulating a program. One is all that you have to learn the basics with. If you want to start with C# or Java, then fine. However if you can't describe what your program should do in basic terms, then you will not be able to write programs. Here is why you need to learn the basics, like state (an object has a particular state through the application), paths (different paths can be taken in the application), proceedures (ordered steps need to achieve a goal). These can be expanded on.

I remember that 2nd year C++, I did a prgram which could draw 3d graphics. I only had basic proceedural knowlege of C++, no object orientation knowlegde.

The app used a 3d view. Use could move about and create points in space. Then, select points and join them with a line in order, or select 3 points and create a polygon. I could snap select, copy or delete any set of points, lines, or polygons. I could also undo up to 10 changes. It had a file menu where I could export files that were compatible with directX. I was pretty much liked my app until I tried Alias Wavefront Studio Tools 3d.

My point is that I used a lot of modularity and proceedures that I learnt from basics. Afterwards, I learnt OO design from books, and that took modularity to a next level.

I learnt how to plan from experience. LOL. Then formally, learnt it to a more extent.

juiceheadband, just take it easy, no rush apps. If you work hard, then you can learn quickly, but you should start with the basics.

In my first year C++, I did most DOS programs. The toughest one was a chess game in DOS that you would not want to see LOL, LOL, LOL. Even that took me months to work on, and all my time was devoted on C++ alone. C++ Programming was so much fun; I loved it so badly.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

crosswire, u've inspired me...i'm gonna do this thing... i have so much time on my hands and C++ does hav a positive ring to it.
    1nsp1ron: Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz 2MB L2|GM965 Express|2 GB DDR2 667|70.1 GB SATA|DVD±RW|14.1 TFT Display|Intel GMA X3100|Windows 7 Ultimate

Got this link from one of the forums here...
    it's lots of programming material on all the languages,
    Including C++

http://www.maththinking.com/boat/booksIndex.html

Quote Originally Posted by juiceheadband
    you know, after reading thru all this i dont even wanna learn programming anymore.. seems like a lotta work...plus visual studio express dont have a lotta important stuff like MFC etc... whats the point.. might as well go learn more about web programming instead....

am i mistaken, but doesnt c++ take years to master?
    might help you gain some perspective:
    http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonflight
    might help you gain some perspective:
    http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html
    Thats a real nice article there.. really puts everthing into perspective. you can't learn and master any programming language in a few weeks days or months..

girldemsuga Guest

Thumbs up

I started with C++ which taught me a lot of the concepts which I want able to apply to many other languages but I mainly write programs in Visual Basic 6.
    I think that Visual Basic is an easy language to learn and the web has a lot articles, tutorials and code examples which could be of some help.

Below is the link to the site which has the tutorial which helped me as a Newbie.

http://www.vbtutor.net/vbtutor.html
    Last edited by girldemsuga; May 25, 2006 at 05:30 PM.

pigeon flight and girlsdemsuga, greaaaattt links.

Glad to be of help
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

to me start, with C and then C++, by the time u reach VB and java, esp core java, u will love programming.