Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Language First?

I recommend python. You may not need much else (unless you're looking into parallel computing or embedded systems).

On top of that there is a python group right here in Jamaica: http://python.zope.com.jm/subscribe
    So people will be willing to hold your hand.

You can learn python in 30 minutes, try the instant python tutorial:
    http://hetland.org/python/instant-python.php

Take the time to learn Unified Modelling Language (UML) not really a progamming langauge but it will help you to organize your thoughts when designing a program.
    Last edited by pigeonflight; May 21, 2006 at 04:26 PM.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

Default c/c++

ok majority rules... and as always we'll be here to guide you. but at least you got the pros and cons of whatever languages were in the choice bag.

c and c++ are not the same you still have to choose one. (just giving trouble )
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

you know, after reading thru all this i dont even wanna learn programming anymore.. seems like a lotta work...plus visual studio express dont have a lotta important stuff like MFC etc... whats the point.. might as well go learn more about web programming instead....

am i mistaken, but doesnt c++ take years to master?
    1nsp1ron: Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz 2MB L2|GM965 Express|2 GB DDR2 667|70.1 GB SATA|DVD±RW|14.1 TFT Display|Intel GMA X3100|Windows 7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by juiceheadband
    you know, after reading thru all this i dont even wanna learn programming anymore.. seems like a lotta work...plus visual studio express dont have a lotta important stuff like MFC etc... whats the point.. might as well go learn more about web programming instead....

you don't really need to master c++. Alot of people get paid lots of money to do very basic stuff. But if you don't know the basics then your out of luck. So the whole point of this thread was to see which language to start learning the basics in, not really which you should attempt to master.

ok, since you put it that way... upfront its kinda intimidating, when they talking all kinda stuff that you gotta read at least twice to get... but i guess its worth it.
    1nsp1ron: Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz 2MB L2|GM965 Express|2 GB DDR2 667|70.1 GB SATA|DVD±RW|14.1 TFT Display|Intel GMA X3100|Windows 7 Ultimate

you know, after reading thru all this i dont even wanna learn programming anymore
    That ok, more work for the rest of us.
    seems like a lotta work.
    Surprise
    plus visual studio express dont have a lotta important stuff like MFC etc
    How would you know?
    Thought you gave up!
    might as well go learn more about web programming instead....
    LOL,LOL, LOL

pigeonflight has good option,Python is strong good luck.
    Last edited by Artificial_Intelligence; May 22, 2006 at 07:19 PM.

wow, great editing Artificial_Intelligence, thats mad funny to read!

Thanks, no fowl no fuss

If you don't want to go the c++ route you can play around with ASP.NET and learn database querying with web matrix. 1.3 mbs download, install, create new file and press F5 to run it. Doesn't have all teh bells and whistles but you can build a usable application in it without stressing you self out. just ask the people inthe ASP forum for a program you can build your self (POS, Inventry etc).

http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default.aspx

Ok, it was not really funny, but man what owen says is true, your asking about metering when you have not started. And saying what is important from what is not just come off odd.

Sorry to laugh man.
    Last edited by Artificial_Intelligence; May 22, 2006 at 07:42 PM.