Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Language First?

Default Which Language First?

ok its summer and i'm going to start learning some programming languages. Where do I start? it probably doesnt matter but anyways....

my current research suggests either java/c#. but what about the others: vb, c/c++? i have no clue really. the .Net thing sounds like the future... so i might wanna incorporate that too.

ok, so what software do i need to download to start developing? so far i've installed the Visual Studio Express components, now how do i proceed?
    1nsp1ron: Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz 2MB L2|GM965 Express|2 GB DDR2 667|70.1 GB SATA|DVD±RW|14.1 TFT Display|Intel GMA X3100|Windows 7 Ultimate

It doesn't really matter much because most of the syntax is the same with the exception of vb. It really depends on what you want to do/build.

However it is the custom to start with C/C++ as it is a high level language but not too high level (compared to the likes of say a Java or C#) if you know what I mean.
    “You perceive, therefore I am and I am that which I want you to perceive.”Cedric M. A. Beckford (2005)

ok thanx, c++ is on the list
    1nsp1ron: Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz 2MB L2|GM965 Express|2 GB DDR2 667|70.1 GB SATA|DVD±RW|14.1 TFT Display|Intel GMA X3100|Windows 7 Ultimate

well c, to better grasp the art of procedural programming. c++ for learning object oriented programing. Dont worry about the .NET right now. Try to understand c and c++ concepts first. Understanding these concepts will make it much easier to understand .NET and also make your programming more efficient. Java is not a necessity.

c ++ is really cool to learn, i had fun learning it.

I agree that understanding c and c++ will be your basis of any programming languages yuh choose to do.

Definitely don't look on dotnet for now. Perhaps leave out Manage C++ that is in the Express Ed too.

Start with C or C++.

Learn a few keywords. Get to know the 'Help' button.

I will try to remember some of the good reading material and post em here. Those in proceedural and Object-oriented (OO).

Do proceedural first, but you can use C or C++, no biggy, seen as how you have VS C++ Express, right?

After you grasp that, do OO. If you could get a text book that would be great.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

As said before it is best you start with C/C++, it is best to start at the core first and most languages today build on C/C++
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5