Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun promises to open source Java

Default Sun promises to open source Java

Sun promises to open source Java

Vendor asking for community input on how to balance open source with preventing fragmentation

Tom Sanders at JavaOne in San Francisco, vnunet.com 16 May 2006

Sun Microsystems is planning to release the source code of the Java programming language, chief executive Jonathan Schwartz said at the JavaOne conference in San Francisco.

"It's not a question of whether we'll open source Java, now the question is how," Schwartz told delegates in his opening keynote at the tradeshow.

source : http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...en-source-java
    ﻈļŭώŭļƒ

The open source commnity is that powerful. It's best for them them to go open source as they will get a wider user group and a community that will help greatly with the development of the language.

Yup I'm actually very heartened by this move from sun. I made mention of this in another thread. But I think its important java doesn't get fragmented, you will end up with many incompatible versions, and we really don't need that. But I'm stumped as to how they are going to go about doing that.

I think people will fork as soon as they opensource Java, but I don't think thats the way to go. Then again those projects will fall by the wayside if they dont get a community.
    Whats going to happen to project's like GCJ and ClassPath?
    I'd personally like to see a native code compiler for java come for each major platform then java would be the bomb. I'd forget about every other langauge that I have learned. Well every language except C.

My take on the matter is if java is not let free it will die. As some of you may or may not know the entire dot net platform is in own words the best version of java I have ever seen (java without the quirks). Microsoft has taken java’s better attributes into its dot net platform and replaced or fixed the other things that made java less useful. When “MS” made the specs of the cli (common language runtime) free this open up the gate for new more robust implementation of any and ever language and along came mono(Linux, Unix) to challenge or supplement the windows version of dot net. Mono is now poised to be the first choice for web and desktop application development replacing java (in the web arena).

So, what have I to say on the matter? I say if mono/dot net gets there way java is as good as dead. The open source community has a long standing quality for keeping projects alive and this is where java is heading (achieve community). As the man said it's just a matter of when.
    Last edited by Artificial_Intelligence; May 22, 2006 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial_Intelligence
    My take on the matter is if java is not let free it will die. As some of you may or may not know the entire dot net platform is in own words the best version of java I have ever seen (java without the quirks). Microsoft has taken java’s better attributes into its dot net platform and replaced or fixed the other things that made java less useful. When “MS” made the specs of the cli (common language runtime) free this open up the gate for new more robust implementation of any and ever language and along came mono(Linux, Unix) to challenge or supplement the windows version of dot net. Mono is now poised to be the first choice for web and desktop application development replacing java (in the web arena).

So, what have I to say on the matter? I say if mono/dot net gets there way java is as good as dead. The open source community has a long standing quality for keeping projects alive and this is where java is heading (achieve community). As the man said it's just a matter of when.
    People have been saying that for ages since .net came out in 2000! where is it now? Java is still the most popular language around, Java is far from dead and wont die anytime soon either be it free or not. All this hype about .NET, when I really checked it out people aren't developing new apps in these langauges but rather porting old VB MS code..

I hope, things go in the way you view it(java will live). I hate to see a good thing to bad, and it's time for MS to loose to the victim(Java).

We should be mindful as someone has said. c was the language of choice then c++ came along, java was on the scene and now dot net is the next wave. With C# to be the language of choice even to replace vb (i have no time to learn C#, so if i don’t have to use it any time soon it’s all good for me). However, in a race where speed counts dot net will win, in a race where numbers count (number of developers), we still can’t tell, and we should remember “Microcrap” is doing a lot to make dot net tool of choice. If we look at the portfolio that MS is pushing, the are essentially going for all the areas where java is normally used the small devices market.

Well.. is C dead? its been around since 1970.

Well “C” has application in areas where java has not ventured (Drives) which has kept it in swing ,FreeBSD and Linux, all have kept “C” alive.

Just the same java has its strengths it runs on almost all servers. Search dice.com, 15183 Java Jobs, 4896 C# jobs. Believe me java aint going anywhere soon. Its has a very very large community unlike .Net or Mono and I dont see Mono as an alternative cause of the legal and compatibility issues it may possibly face. As long as .NET stay on windows it wont threaten java. I think that .Net will become the development language of choice for windows, but go as far as erasing java, I doubt that very much.
    Last edited by leoandru; May 24, 2006 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial_Intelligence
    Well “C” has application in areas where java has not ventured (Drives) which has kept it in swing ,FreeBSD and Linux, all have kept “C” alive.
    wouln't it be more c++ though cause gnome mainly that i see push it, and Its because gnome is an object oriented envirion (from devel point of view)