Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sun promises to open source Java

This is a nice indication of the viability of a language.

http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

Look out for the langauge named D.. I see it entering the charts.
    Last edited by leoandru; May 24, 2006 at 01:49 PM.

yeh d looks pretty enticing, i know i'm gonna try it out, owen posted a site in some other thread with the comparison with other languages, it basically gives the best of all the worlds of prog. langs.

Well if you check the system calls in unix/linux you'll notice that the prototypes are "C" based

leoandru isn’t that so? even the system calls in windows are "C" based (WINAPI)
    so "C" has a place in that regard (making Operating systems ) a place where i have not seen java go.

In any event, leoandru that job market thing you mentioned is interesting. i belive my point of view was biased based on my own view and not on facts.
    Last edited by Artificial_Intelligence; May 24, 2006 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial_Intelligence
    Well if you check the system calls in unix/linux you'll notice that the prototypes are "C" based

leoandru isn’t that so? even the system calls in windows are "C" based (WINAPI)
    so "C" has a place in that regard (making Operating systems ) a place where i have not seen java go.

In any event, leoandru that job market thing you mentioned is interesting. i belive my point of view was biased based on my own view and not on facts.
    correct ! but C isn't just used on operating systems, many software today is still developed in C or C++ despite having many higher level languages around to develop in. most graphic driven software are written in those langauges. Most of the killer apps I know are also written in those languages.
    Last edited by leoandru; May 24, 2006 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks for the info. The long-term trend was interesting seen that java and "C" will run close at some point, with java ahead off course.

Think i will get me a copy of tomcat soon. if java goes free; I hope they fix it so that it runs faster on the desktop.

I have not checked out the entire site but I gave the stats on that site (http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm) the green light because some of its managers come from the EU. I tend to disbelieve American computer stats companies, with there one-sided view (not facts).
    NB: European countries make more use of open source than another in the world.