Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gamers' Association of Jamaica

Default Re:Gamers' Association of Jamaica

Well said GodKid, well said.

How is that Japan language working out Sy? Do they code in Japanese? Or they learn english to make their games?

I am jamaican so I have two minds one that takes a defensive stance immediately and the other which reasons beyond aggression so I will answer this question both ways as I have interpreted them. 1) your question sounded sarcastic so the following answer would be would you encode a game in japanese here in jamaica where your natural language is english? 2) Non-sarcastically- It sounds logical, note however I am not yet any good at kanji and as I write romanji it has not been neccessary for conversation. Reading japanese and speaking japanese are considered as two different languages by most english speakers.

To Godkid:- Seeing that your username can be related to religion I am guessing loosely that you are christian. Finding yourself in such an environment where blood and gore seem to be the order of the day how does it impact your christian life and if it does how do you handle it in itself and the conflict most persons find with christianity and games?

that's an easy one Nova (look for my call today)

I've found that there are three options available:

1 - Play no video games except for the ones like Ominous Horizons which is made by a Christian company because practically EVERY video game has something that is not biblical...

2 - Play video games that are reality and even imaginary based (CS, Quake, Starcraft) but don't mess with the supernatural and explicitly usurp God's role (Warcraft, Black & White, etc)

3 - Forget it all .. its just a game

I choose to be a Numero Dos kinda Christian.

Well I guess. I find myself also in this same predicament and since I also do martial arts I have more than one conflict.

lol @ sarcastic

It was a serious question. Japanese is as far away from english as you can get, so I was very curious to know how a Jamaican game programmer would fare across there.

Godkid, I share your dilemna.

I've spent countless hours removing blood and gore from games, going so far to edit the actual game graphic files and such. Fortunately, most new games have a "gore" setting that does this for you automagically.

Save for the excessive red splashes all over the place, I find gaming not offensive to a God fearing man. SOF2 on the "no gore setting" is a pleasure. Turn on full gore and you begin to feel very "disturbed" dismembering your opponents limb by limb. Not a very "Christian" experience.

Very interesting comments,

Godkid made a sterling comment which I could not have said better myself, "it is instead the earnest effort to get things going right the first time".

Without proper structure or foundation things will eventually crumble. We do not want this to happen at all with the GAJ. Through careful planning and organisation we aim to make the best of things, with should matter smoother sailing when fully functional as oppose to acting out of confusion and spontaneity.

Sy-Nova I greatly admire you passion for gaming. I hope that you will become an integral part of our team as we greatly accept support for from the dedicated and the talented. Take care how you express your passion for gaming as it make come across as condescending and may cause a stir. Your passion is a great thing and you have channeled it into your school work of which you are seemingly proud of. We hope same will be done towards our work as we seek to pull together as a team.

With this in mind I challenge you.....

1. Put in writing what you would hope to see GAJ in the future and what do you think can be done to achieve these goals. (You may post this if you which or email me... which ever suits you best)

2. State what you bring to the team and how you would like to see it used in the continuous development of the GAJ?

Looking forward to furthers posts and other interested persons.

Respectfully,

Nastrodamus.

Firstly, I must again apologize for seeming over zealous but I have seen companies efforts fail due to complacence. The major problem with the industry today why we suffer from bad games is, everyone goes into the gaming industry saying I have great ideas and will make a difference but as soon as they realize they are getting payed no matter what, these once gamers are now devoid of creativity because of a streamlined industry that refuses to go back to the roots of their gaming career which is the pure love of playing games. A game programmer makes from 70-300 thousand US a year. These guys need to go back into the arcades that are left and compete with the players who are doing things with the game that were not a calculated function. Its this fore anger that drives me. I was told by a tutor that no matter how hard I try to fight complacency it is inevitable in the gaming industry, I force myself to believe that is a lie. When I accept his words then I'll stop playing games.

In terms of what I bring...it feels weird saying I bring this or that, kinda has a job feel to it which I have made a note not to associate with games.However I have the side effect of knowing many persons who are considered influencial by most, I have a knack for speaking one or two languages, he he he, I have advanced knowledge of art concepts and design, sound and hometheater ( its a part of game development and design that deals with how sound and visual cues influence gaming on the human psyche, and how to use sound to create the illusion of a better game (FACT: A developers secret-you can make a game twice as enticing by slapping on an exciting cover, 3/5 of the international gaming community buy games based on cover design who's sales cover all of the games production cost and marketing). There's more interms of laws that apply to network gaming, game law, international stance on pleigurism and what we do best,game copying and why its to be a big deal in jamaica in upcoming june to the FBI *more on that some other time* but I think loyalty and empathy are possibly traits I could say I dable a bit in, but self praise is crap which is why I feel uncomfortable writing some of these things. Hasta luego

Thank you for your quick response.

There is nothing wrong with being zealous, or even being over zealous. If it is consistent that it can be chanelled to do great things. Inconsistency on the other hand is the downfall of many.

We will definetely be in touch in the future.

So what kinda a games you currently playings...(nice thread...)

Right now I'm working on a Raid. Its a CG rendered scene. I am using Bryce 4. I love this software for landscapes, I think I'm gonna choose level design and animation as my major.Hard work but fun. I'm playing underground but its gotten monotonous and repetative.They should have allowed personalized soundtracks woulda made a difference. I'm also killing on unreal 2 awakening. Much more but right now these are the ones that hold interest.Definitely though I'll be playing any RPGs I get my hands on.

Bryce 4 for landscapes? Why not Terragen... much sweeter.. much better rendering... plaini and simple better ;D (but that's just me)