View Poll Results: Should the promoters of the Sting Stage Show stop staging it?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Sting Stage Show be abandoned?

Default Should the Sting Stage Show be abandoned?

Considering the volatile history of the anually held Sting stage show and this years on stage violence and the pandemonium that followed, should the promoters of Sting cease staging the event?

Default Re:Should the Sting Stage Show be abandoned?

Well, since the whole idea of sting is about the clashes, then most people who go to it, want to see the clashes. Hence most people will want to continue going to this event.

In the "Civilised" days of the Roman Empire, they all went to see the Christians eaten by lions - and they loved every moment of it. Have we become so barbaric that we view the taking of life a SHOW and want to pay to see that?

STING is doing nothing more than feeding the already underdeveloped minds of innercity dwellers with an even higher propensity for violence. I don't think any single one of them can isolate themselves as being better than the lot since they all collectively engage themselves in the same hooligan bottle-throwing frenzy year after year, a tenacity with which Sting has become synonymous.

If even the crass underbelly of society which frequently seeks to express itself on stage see the need for the banning of the Show, then the question has already answered itself. I never saw the point of Sting. Sting almost always ends the same way - with the tossing of bottles. If the contestants can't maturely compete on stage, or without being relentlessly bottled by the attendees, then what's the point? Where's the humanity in such an event? Is it a contest to out-lyric and dodge more bottles than contestants at the same time?

Utterly ridiculous.

I find it hard to imagine how any self respecting human being can associate themselves with the event, given its volatile history. In fact, I think that contestants going up on stage at the event are unnecessarily risking their lives in what could have otherwise been a truly enjoyable event for those who appreciate the music form.

If anything, I'm ashamed to say that such an event actually takes place in this Jamaica land we love. Goes to show that we are still largely made up of uneducated hoodlums and hooligans. Just great. Now we have more dangerously idle minds on our hands.

Lets draw a some pain staking anologies...

1. With all the corruption that has been going on in our local government, should we do away with it?

2. With all the violence, whether called for or on called for by the police, should they be done away with?

3. With the High Rising of criminal activities in our schools, should we do away with that?

4. The amount of persons who has crash due to alcohol, should we do a way with rum? (this one kinda far fetched but it has a point)

5. With the high usage of the internet for all manners of evil, should it be done away with?

Sting is an event which is based on conflict. What happens at sting reflects really one of the islands major problems....Conflict Resolution.

It is my belief if the measures can be put in place to better regulate the program without stiffling those who attend it would be a remarkable feat and could then be practiced in and communties.

Sting brings together more persons than any one community in this island. Imagine if a conflict (clash) is brought up, gone through and dealt with and at the end of the show, the two artist laugh and shake hand and chat how the other one "tuff" and they go in the crowd go party with every one else? Good eh?

As is the problem in the community, the problem at sting is now poor governing, and leadership. If certain values were instilled and enforced, certain things would not happen. Its now all about who will see it as there duty for that!!!!..... Note though that even the artistee need guidance

Personally I think Sting for ages seems to be a setup to me. Earlier on the news if ya'll watched, u would have seen Both involved in the altercation sitting in the jail, quite calm, talking with the police and the reporters. Kartel was held on many charges, while Ninja man was charged and released.

I think they get instructions as to what to do on stage, create a certain hype so to speak. This is similar to the love of reality tv. If they promote it to be a real problem between the 2 artiste then they know it will bring a large crowd. Instead of promoting a lyrical battle, they promote a physical. Smart marketing idea,but dangerous. Smart in the sense that Kartel is from Portmore, and the venue is portmore. Hence the large crowd of supporters.

The problem with this smart marketing idea is the problems that will arrise, especially in a country like Jamaica which is ranked among the top for being the most violent country in the world. Yep this is true. I think the artistes themselves are to blame for letting it escalate to the point which it did. But can u really blame them??? On stage, infront of the world, getting dissed and with so much egos going around tempers bound to flare.

Dont get me wrong, I am not condoning or trying to justify the behaviour because in the end what happened was wrong, from all points of view.

What i would like is the Promoter/s to take responsibility for what happened, but in the past that has never happened.

PS I heard about what happened at sting from someone overseas. Now what does that say???

ENUFF SAID

Sting is simply a symptom of the problem.. thus doing away with Sting simply forces the problem to find another means manifestation.... as Nas hinted.. if you could somehow change Sting from a symptom to an antibiotic then all woulda nice ;D

Maybe Sting should be replaced by something else. Clearly these artists can't handle loosing. Furthermore, even if they didn't fight, some idiot would have tossed a bottle there - it's like some kind of stigma. It kinda makes one fear taking part in any kind of event frequented by members of that section of society.

If even Mumakil I mean oliphaunt, umm... (what's his name again?) oh yeah, Elephant man (sorry, LOTR on the brain) agrees that the show should be banned, doesn't that say something? I mean I utterly detest dancehall, so my vote doesn't count. However if even E-man (hmm... that's sounds corny) sez it should be banned, then the there you have it folks. We don't need to hear from anyone else.

Maybe they should do sting via a forum instead of live. That way, the least that can happen is that they'll be flamed, and not bottled. Hey, at least nobody is being arrested for indecent behaviour.

But then Xeno... Won't conflicts come up in Dancehall otherwise? What next ban Dancehall? How does that stop the problem? What really is the problem? Lets solve that! If we keep running from the problem, believe me it will catch up, and when it does we gonna have hell to pay.

Oh by the way:

Ninja Man, Vybz Kartel arrested and charged following Sting 'slug-fest'

Ninja man has be given $15,000 bail, Vibes Kartel on the other hand...well read the article.