Thread: Problems with external 250MB USB Zip drive

Default Problems with external 250MB USB Zip drive

I recently bought one and have been finding that I have been losing disks because of data corruption.

Has anyone else found problems with the USB zip drives?

Am I the only one?

Default Re:Problems with external 250MB USB Zip drive

A frequent fault of Zip drives is always the power supply... If I remember correctly the USB 250MB drive does not use the USB cable for power but has its own AC adapter. If oyu know anyone else with a simialr drive try their power adapter and see.

[quote author=Collin link=board=3;threadid=264;start=0#1869 date=1037757394]
    A frequent fault of Zip drives is always the power supply... If I remember correctly the USB 250MB drive does not use the USB cable for power but has its own AC adapter. If oyu know anyone else with a simialr drive try their power adapter and see.[/quote]

Collin, there are actually two types of 250MB zip drives. The original (like mine) uses an a/c power adapter and I've had no problems with it. The newer type does not use an a/c adapter but is powered thru the USB cable. Now that I think about it, I also know of a colleague of mine having problems with her newer 250MB zip drive. It's begs to wonder if there's a bug with some of them ???

Mine is the newer type - it is powered through the usb cable

Get this prog called "Trouble In Paradise" at the following url

http://grc.com/tip/clickdeath.htm

Hey I have a zip 100usb and after I bought it it worked fine for about 1 or 2 months. I transfer files from work and home and I have about 7 or 8 discs. One day I copied or rather moved some stuff so as not to leave any trace on the computer and went home. Plugged on my zip drive and started to copy. One and two small files copied ut then it just sits there with the motor spining and the light flashing, the window processing the data hangs and I'm force to end that operation thinkin it was just am occassional seek problem. I did it again and same thing, so i moved on to transferring another disc, that one worked so i figured everything is ok probably its just a huge file takin long to copy I could view the files but it gives a 'cyclic redundancy' error when copying. I put in an other disc and the autorun feature doesnt come up so i figure thats odd. I go into Powerdesk to look on the drive and it say no disc inserted but the light still falshing. Every other one i try since then gives the sdame problem. I tried it on my dads pc and it gives this jerky sound when it tried to read, sounds like when u just inserted the disc and it locks it.

My friend gave me a zip disc soon after to copy some stuff onto it. I figured then that maybe it was just my zip disks that were bad since they were all bought form the sam place same box same time. After copying files for my friend and giving him back the disc he said he cant read it, its asking him to format the disc. Thats when I drew the conclusion that the drive did it.

Bummer man cuz right now its gathering dust. I thinkin about buying a 512MB usb memory stick.

[quote author=wheelman link=board=3;threadid=264;start=0#msg4776 date=1051883524]I thinkin about buying a 512MB usb memory stick.[/quote]

When considering buying the memory stick, remember to also consider the availability of memory stick "drives" and memory sticks. You'll be limited in using your memory sticks on other PCs unless you carry your drive. You'll also be limited in using the media used by your friends. The present ability that you have of using your friend's zip disk and of lending your friend your zip disk will be much less when you're using siomething as proprietary as a memory stick. If you want to go solid-state (flash memory) media, consider compact flash or SD media.

[quote author=Chris link=board=3;threadid=264;start=0#msg4779 date=1051884499]
    When considering buying the memory stick, remember to also consider the availability of memory stick "drives" and memory sticks. You'll be limited in using your memory sticks on other PCs unless you carry your drive. You'll also be limited in using the media used by your friends. The present ability that you have of using your friend's zip disk and of lending your friend your zip disk will be much less when you're using siomething as proprietary as a memory stick. If you want to go solid-state (flash memory) media, consider compact flash or SD media.
    [/quote]

ohh thats a typo, i actually meant USB Flash disc. I saw one down here in mobay which doesnt even need any installation unless you want to use the specialized softwar eto manage the files, apart from that its just basic plug and play.

you can get a 6 in 1 drive that fits in your shirt pocket.
    I think thats what franz is referring to, it's really cool!!

check ebay for it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18872

Bredrin Come into the future. Get you self a 7 in 1 flash reader. It's chaeper ($15 on e-bay) smaller and lighter. + it can hold up to 1 GB. Read rates are also a lot faster