Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I got charged to import a used PDA!!!

guys here is what you do. keep an eye out in the papers, for custom's auctions and try and buy your goods there. they sell even cars. what happens is this, alot of people like you, import goods, didn't know there was a duty don't want to pay it or can't afford to pay it and customs ends up with these goods and have nothing to do with them. so them auction them off every once in awhile and thats where u come in and buy products at a cheaper rate.
    Macbook Core Duo 1.83ghz
    OS X 10.4.10 - 1.25gb Ram

Juckyjam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by digitalchef
    guys here is what you do. keep an eye out in the papers, for custom's auctions and try and buy your goods there. they sell even cars. what happens is this, alot of people like you, import goods, didn't know there was a duty don't want to pay it or can't afford to pay it and customs ends up with these goods and have nothing to do with them. so them auction them off every once in awhile and thats where u come in and buy products at a cheaper rate.
    Much like what they do when they confiscate ur car and u cant pay the fees!!! did you know they wanted to pass law a kind of a 3 strike rule where if some1 commits a certain type of breach 3 times they take thier cars and auction it....

Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    Guys i just got a dell axim from dell couple of months back i just had to pay 3600.00 to get it to me

LOL....you get weh....cos it mark "Dell"....they automatically think it is computer....lol.

I got an industrial printer to do industrial jobs...and one place was charging 20,000 to clear it but because I used a broker (quickmail) and it mark "printer", I paid little over 2000 to clear it.....The reason I paid so much is because it was rated at 19lbs but actually weighs about 5-8lbs!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrodamus
    For the record a PDA is a:

Consumer Electronic Item
    Indeed, 40% duty....heavy...
    Heroes to Mentors -

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    I used a broker (quickmail)
    where are they located? is this another company like mailpac ?
    We Is Friends!
    Me And You Is Friends!
    You Smile, I Smile ....
    You Hurt, I Hurt ..
    You Cry, I Cry ..
    You Jump Off A Bridge ..
    I Gonna Miss Your E-Mails !

Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    Guys i just got a dell axim from dell couple of months back i just had to pay 3600.00 to get it to me

how did you ship it?

Quote Originally Posted by hb
    Is this right? Would a PDA be classified as a computer therefore being exempt from customs duties?

The PDA cost me $44k and i had to pay 20k to clear it..

does anyone have any document listing the items that are taxable?
    I used to buy and sell PDA's and I'd pay pretty much nothing to clear them as they are classed under "computer peripherals"....but then again the last time I brought one in was months ago, maybe they've changed the classification in an attempt to get more money...with this gov't anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    LOL....you get weh....cos it mark "Dell"....they automatically think it is computer....lol.
    Lol...that probably explains why I used to get away with it.
    Roaming Donkey - Roaming Donkey: The easiest way to find somewhere to eat, play or stay in Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by Billerg
    where are they located? is this another company like mailpac ?
    11 Cargill Ave. They're better than mailpac as far as I know, based on the responses I get and the number of people switching.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Their website doesnt work for me... they sux0rz

So hold on, if it's second hand and somebody casually travelled with it, the PDA, from abroad, that would be free, right?