Thread: Needing Help

Default Needing Help

Ok, so im a student at 6th form college doing cComputing and for our major coursework we need to create a program that allows me to manage a town halls booking system.

Basically I have the form, I have the 'DateTimePicker' and a DBGrid. Basically Id like to be able to choose a date from the DTP and show bookings on that day on the DBGrid. I have the information on an Excel spreadsheet but Ive forgotten how to link the DTP with the DBGrid. I know it's got something to do with a Data Module and an ADOConnection, DataSource and ADO DataSet.

Can someone please please send me in the right direction?

Thanks.

The DateTimePicker is a Non-DB Aware control. You would have to use it's OnChange event to manually filter your database to retrieve the values that correspond the controls current date.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunty Killer
    The DateTimePicker is a Non-DB Aware control.
    To help you identify the components mentioned above; delphi data aware components "NORMALY" have a "DB" in there name example "DBlookup"
    Check the link below for example application managing excel with Delphi.

http://delphi.about.com/library/code/ncaa090903a.htm

what he wants to do will have to be done via the onchange event of the datetimepicker (not a db-aware control). if he is using a query, all he needs to do is to rebuild the query and send it to the server with the condition (WHERE CLAUSE) filtering out the new date. he could also set the filter of the underlying dataset for the date field to match the new date.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppolitia
    I have the information on an Excel spreadsheet but Ive forgotten how to link the DTP with the DBGrid. I know it's got something to do with a Data Module and an ADOConnection, DataSource and ADO DataSet.
    Thanks.
    After reading, what he had posted; the lines in the quotes gave me the impression that he needed to know
    A) How to connect the grid with his data source (Excel).
    B) How to use hit DTP to get at the information in his data source to display the required records.

I found the example in the link I mentioned useful and felt it might help him.
    That said. I know your saying the onChange event is the place to get at his data, but he would need to connect to it first?

If he already has a connection to his excel file(data source ) then cool. Your suggestion is ok. Other wise he needs to connect.
    Last edited by Artificial_Intelligence; Apr 30, 2006 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppolitia

Basically I have the form, I have the 'DateTimePicker' and a DBGrid. Basically Id like to be able to choose a date from the DTP and show bookings on that day on the DBGrid.
    Thanks.
    Getting the connection to Excel is the easy part. What seems to be bugging him is connecting the DateTimePicker to the Dataset and showing the records for which the selected Date is relevant, and displaying them in the grid. But because it is not a DB Aware control he would have to write a custom event handler for the onchange event.