Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Migrating from C++ To C

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    nope straight C with just functions and structures. I dont use stl I with my own data structures.
    well if that is the case then sorry to tell you this.... you are programming in the dark ages, you need to start doing development using object oriented techniques with design patterns or you will not have a job pretty soon.

Do you ever do any GUI development or are all your apps only executable from the command line?
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    lol leo, just ignore this user.

He needs to take of his blinders and have a take a more in depth view of the
    world of computing. I know of a few companies in Jamaica that actively develop
    new applications in ansi C.
    lol this is quite funny... I need to take a more in dept look at the world of computing...

take a look at some free software I am giving away on my site http://cgpgroup.com/index.asp
    developed using different languages, C#,C++,VB.NET, and VB6. the site was also developed by me using ASP(VBScript server side, JavaScript client side)

I know their are tons of companies doing development in C, nothing wrong with the language... It worked well for years. a 1986 honda civic was great in 1986, but in 2006 it is not such a great car. the same applies to C and C++.

Quote Originally Posted by CGPGroup
    I highly doubt that (look at GCC). if this is true then unix needs to be dumped in the trash, who is going to sit and write pure procedural code? then again this might explain the lack of innovation on Unix.
    lol

FLAME BAIT!!!

I'm not taking it.

Seriously though, it makes no sense to argue over whether C++ is better than C. One is but an enhancement of the other. Both have their purpose, their advantages and their disadvantages. As with any other tool, there is a time and situation for which one or the other will be better than the other.

well if that is the case then sorry to tell you this.... you are programming in the dark ages, you need to start doing development using object oriented techniques with design patterns or you will not have a job pretty soon.

Do you ever do any GUI development or are all your apps only executable from the command line?

You're joking right?

There will always be a need for procedural programming. There will always be a need for the kind of development C offers. A gui isn't everything. There are cases where guis are unnecessary and inappropriate. The presence or absence of a GUI doesn't necessarily invalidate the importance of an application. Device drivers don't need GUIs. Networking code doesn't need GUIs.

Do better than that guy.

C isnt only used in unices either, if an ignorant one wants take the red pill he
    could purchase "Inside Microsoft Windows 2000. Third Edition, Microsoft Press"
    and see what part C plays within the windows OS.

Actually I do OOP programming in Java and C# at work, I do C for a opensource projects and as a Hobby for perssonal stuff that run on UNIX. To me OOP vs procedural programming is just a different mindset, certainly OOP langaues are more suited to design patterns but I wouldn't go as far as saying the C is programming in the dark ages. But to each his own.

How is it possible to have an arguement glorifying C over C++? how does one rationalize that? the reality of the matter is C++ is C with enhancements. everything in C is in C++, granted some things are deprecated but still present. how does one argue that their 1986 honda civic is better than a 2006 honda civic?

Theirfore no matter what you want to do in C it can be done better in C++. do you think you can create an overloaded RB tree and have it function better than the tree provided in the STL? I HIGHLY doubt it.

you know what I am done... use whatever language you think is best. I know I Will.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    Actually I do OOP programming in Java and C# at work, I do C for a opensource projects and as a Hobby for perssonal stuff that run on UNIX. To me OOP vs procedural programming is just a different mindset, certainly OOP langaues are more suited to design patterns but I wouldn't go as far as saying the C is programming in the dark ages. But to each his own.
    I am not qualified to talk about Java but I can't stand it. I think Oracle screwed up their client tools when they moved them to Java. likewise when macromedia redid the Coldfusion engine in Java. But like I said I am not qualified to talk about Java.

C# now thats a different ball-game. when oh when is MS going to release the .net framework for other platforms....?

How is it possible to have an arguement glorifying C over C++?
    you are the only one glorifying anything over another thing. We are just
    trying to show you that both languages are still active and still useful.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    you are the only one glorifying anything over another thing. We are just
    trying to show you that both languages are still active and still useful.
    dont you mean both Versions of the same language.