Thread: You can't fire someone for web surfing (Provided they do their job)

Default You can't fire someone for web surfing (Provided they do their job)

AN AMERICAN judge has told the New York City council that it cannot fire an employee who was doing his work well just because he was sneaking a peek at the Internet.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

I'm sure they'll find loopholes I'm sure the judge is aware of this also.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

I totally agree with the decision of the judge, as said in the article, if employees can be allowed to browse the newspaper, take personal calls why cant they browse the net as long as their performance is not affected and the activity that they are performing on the net is not anything morally wrong
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5
    POWERED By: LIME 3G

It all depends on what the company policy states and what the employees agreed to in their terms of employment. There are valid reasons why the company could want employees to refrain from certain kinds of Internet usage. And when you think about it, use of the Internet in most cases, is not even necessary to people's job function (there are exceptions, as in IT).

As it pertains to the presented article, there seemed to be a basis for believing that the termination was as actually an act of reprisal. That changes how things look, espeically if the company was not consistently enforcing their policies across the board.

Juckyjam Guest

usually in cases like these, if the company is determine to get rid of the employee they're still gonna fire the employee and pay what ever fine the courts imposes...as for surfing the net the company pays u for 8 hours or what ever the case may be so they can stipulate what you can and cant do withing those hours...its like this say u chartered a taxi to take you somewhere...you dont expect the cab driver to take a small detour to his house to eat dinner

Firing is still too harsh even if the offense is stated in the rules. If he was warned on numerous occasions and failed to adhere to the rules then that's different because it's clear insubordination. I think a majority of persons when at work take a look at the internet. If the employee spends considerale hours browsing and his/her performance and efficiency has declined then fine, release them, otherwise, let them be.

.its like this say u chartered a taxi to take you somewhere...you dont expect the cab driver to take a small detour to his house to eat dinner
    Not applicable because obviously somebody would gain at the expense of another. Time loss and risk factors would be involved in that scenario.

Juckyjam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aldayne
    Firing is still too harsh even if the offense is stated in the rules. If he was warned on numerous occasions and failed to adhere to the rules then that's different because it's clear insubordination. I think a majority of persons when at work take a look at the internet. If the employee spends considerale hours browsing and his/her performance and efficiency has declined then fine, release them, otherwise, let them be.

Not applicable because obviously somebody would gain at the expense of another. Time loss and risk factors would be involved in that scenario.
    the example wasnt literal what i was tryig to say is this......you pay some1 for a certain number of hours if they use any part of those hours to do something else you can ask for ur money back for the time lost....now why is it we cant sleep on the job when we have nothing else doing and we have done all the work for the day or why cant we leave for the day when we finish all our work for that day?????...reason is we were paid for a number of hours we shouldnt be using it to do our own thing unless with permission....firing might too harsh a warning might suffice but in technicality the company has the right to either deduct money for time lost or fire him depending on what they see fit.....In the business world if ur paid for a certain number of hours and u complete what u were assinged to do before the time was thru they expect u to fullfil the remaining hours doing something beneficial to them not urself....

Quote Originally Posted by Juckyjam
    In the business world if ur paid for a certain number of hours and u complete what u were assinged to do before the time was thru they expect u to fullfil the remaining hours doing something beneficial to them not urself....

that sux....so wud u then be paid differently for doin sumting else taht's beneficial to them? seein as u dun ur werk?
    Becoming aware of my character defects leads me to the next step -- blaming my parents.

the example wasnt literal what i was tryig to say is this......you pay some1 for a certain number of hours if they use any part of those hours to do something else you can ask for ur money back for the time lost....now why is it we cant sleep on the job when we have nothing else doing and we have done all the work for the day or why cant we leave for the day when we finish all our work for that day?????...reason is we were paid for a number of hours we shouldnt be using it to do our own thing unless with permission....firing might too harsh a warning might suffice but in technicality the company has the right to either deduct money for time lost or fire him depending on what they see fit.....In the business world if ur paid for a certain number of hours and u complete what u were assinged to do before the time was thru they expect u to fullfil the remaining hours doing something beneficial to them not urself....
    Ok, agreed. In this particular case though, it is unfair that this one person was singled out for browsing the internet at work. It's not like he was browsing profanity, just news and travel and it was noted that other employees were doing the same. I guess the judge saw the blatant grudge in the case and now the ruling will serve as precedent for similar future cases.
    Last edited by Aldayne; Apr 28, 2006 at 12:03 AM.

Juckyjam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Aldayne
    Ok, agreed. In this particular case though, it is unfair that this one person was singled out for browsing the internet at work. It's not like he was browsing profanity, just news and travel and it was noted that other employees were doing the same. I guess the judge saw the blatant grudge in the case and now the ruling will serve as precedent for similar future cases.
    yea when management av something against an employee woe be unto them if they 5mins late suspension...1 min over the lunch hour pack yu stuff them just waan yu mess up hell them just waan yu look like yu ago mess up...next day yu a clean out yu draw