Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: LOTR - The Return Of The King

Default Re:LOTR - The Return Of The King

[quote author=Ramesh link=board=29;threadid=2634;start=75#msg26331 date=1073931842]

Legolas' jumping all over the Oly'phaunt scene was so fake, anyone could tell it was CGI. However the entire battle scen was otherwise nicely done.

[/quote]

Hey...when I'm fighting in Soul Calibur 2 or Virtua Fighter, I can tell it's computer generated animation...but it still tough ;D 8)

Suspend disbelief.

The head of the Nazguls only briefly hinted it when he said "No man can kill me" to which Eowyn replied "I am no man".
    The whole place mash up when dat scene play ;D 8) 8)

Ramesh-Dude, there's practically nothing that can be done on screen now that will fool a techie. BCK is right, one has to suspend belief when going into these things.

Eoywn's marriage to Faramir would have dragged out the theatrical release a lot longer, and more unnecessarily. You have to remember that theatrical realeases have to tell a specific story with as little deviation as possible, within the 4 hour time limit. Everything else that does not directly push the story is cutting room floor fodder. We'll see all of that on the extended cut DVD, including:
    • Fight of Saruman (Gandalf humbles him at Isengard, breaks his staff, is killed by Wormtongue)
    • Gandalf summons the power of mithrandir and instantly slays 900 orc at Minas Tirith
    • The healing room (where Faramir woos Eowyn, and Aragorn shows off his healing skills)

...and many more scenes. There's no way they could squeeze that into the movie Ramesh. It's already 3½ hours long. If they were to make a movie on everything in the book, without deleting anything, it'd run at least 6 hours. Nobody's going to go to see a flick for 6 hours. 3½ hours is really pushing it already.

Just to let y'all know how well it's doing, Return of the King has surpassed the US $500 million box office mark worldwide, and is already pushing close to US $400 million. Hopefully, by the time this thing hits DVD, Titanic will be in second place. ;D

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=29;threadid=2634;start=75#msg26399 date=1074010248]
    Just to let y'all know how well it's doing, Return of the King has surpassed the US $500 million box office mark worldwide, and is already pushing close to US $400 million. Hopefully, by the time this thing hits DVD, Titanic will be in second place. ;D
    [/quote]

As it should be. Titanic is like the Energiser bunny, it keeps going, and going, and going....

Beating out Big Fish, which they tried to spin as the 'Ring King' killer. :-)

What's the difference between an Oliphaunt and a Mumakil?

Mumakil (Moo-ma-kil) is the middle-earth name for the old english word Oliphaunt. Oliphaunt is used generally to refer to the creatures. However, Mumakil is the name that the Haradrim (the people riding the creatures in the movie) named the creatures. So essentially, both names refer to the same creature.

Like I had predicted before, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King is definitely one of the TOP movies of ALL time. If you missed tonight's Academy Awards, you should know three things:
    • - Return of the King was nominated in 11 categories
    • - It won in all of them. This is known as a cleansweep
    • - Only Titanic (1997) and Ben Hur (1959) have done this...

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King won the following awards:
    • Best ART DIRECTION
    • Best COSTUME DESIGN
    • Best FILM EDITING
    • Best MAKEUP
    • Best SOUND MIXING
    • Best VISUAL EFFECTS
    • Best WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
    • Best MUSIC (SCORE)
    • Best MUSIC (SONG)
    • Best DIRECTING
    • Best Picture

In addition to this, Return of the King is now the second highest grossing movie of all time, right behind Titanic, beating out Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park and even Finding Nemo with a grand total (so far) of $1,005,400,000!!

I can't wait for this Special Edition DVD to hit stores. This movie is worth every penny spent on it and every award it won. Next year this time around, I'm betting that The Passion of Christ, Troy and 3 others will be contending for best picture.

Passion of Christ has already grossed 117 million dollars in 3 days (3 DAYS!!) - That is the HIGHEST in box office history for the month of February. It is likely the accusations of anti-semitism and the controversy will push this picture all the way up to be one of the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time and possibly best picture for next year. It will definitely have strong competition from Troy no doubt. We'll see how that goes.

But for now, LOTR is King. ;D

Couldn't believe it myself! I wanted to see the total count. Was the first full length Oscar show I've seen in years!

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar..._id=1000447470

"Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" took home all of the 11 Academy Awards for which it was nominated, including both of Oscar's music honors. Howard Shore took the award for best score from last night's (Feb. 29) 76th annual ceremony, while his song "Into the West," written with his wife, Fran Walsh, and Annie Lennox, won the best original song award.

"This is incredible," Shore said after accepting the best score award from presenters Sting and Phil Collins. In his speech, he thanked all of the musicians and vocalists that worked on the film, singling out Lennox and soprano Renée Fleming.

Look man, being musicians, my cousin and I are HUGE fans of the LOTR musical pieces. We literally studied the themes from the first through the last movie. Howard Shore is nothing short of WICKED brilliant! I never used to give any other composer other than John Williams props for his memorable soundtracks on all of the greatest Spielburg movies that we love. But Howard Shore really showed off his greatest talent here.

Of the three movies, The Return of the King has by far the very best tracks. Many of the songs on this track had climactic themes to them. There were themes of dread interwoven with the main theme. There are far too many of these tracks to be mentioned here. But the best of them has to be "Anduril" and "Into the West". I think Anduril is why Shore really got the award. The track was used when Aragorn was shown the remade sword by Elrond in the camp just before the men went to war. The track is PURE climax! It just jumps out at you, in your face, with this BEAUTIFUL swooing minor chord chant by the London Philharmonic Choir, in the vein of the heavenly elven theme, interwoven with a final major chord climax ending in the "F" note in G-major....sweeeeeeeeet ;D

...I know it sounds technical, but when you hear it, you will understand....

In this track, Shore constantly steps up the pace of the song in a new octave!!! Each stanza of music started in a new octave!!! Can you imagine how this sounds when he finalises the track in mid-octave F after going three octaves up in whole note succession? Oh.... MY.... GOD..... - This man earned his academy award RIGHT thur.... ;D

...and then as if that were not enough, Annie Lennox blows the roof with a High A note in "Into The West" where she sang the words "...on the horizon....". That note made my subwoofer orgasm - My cousin and I were like: "Daaaaaaaayaaaaamn!!" ;D That woman can hit some OBSCENE NOTES!!!!!! What made the track even more climactic was the elven themes strung onto the guitar apeggios - that really mellowed out when she hit the high notes. That song automatically became my new favourite song. If you listen to only one song from this sound track, you MUST listen to "Into the west" - It is an incredibly beautiful song. Absolutely GORGEOUS!! It was played during the closing credits where epitaphs of the actors were cross-faded on the screen. That song alone made me want to see the movie again. It was THAT good.

DAMN this guy can write music!!!

He DESERVED That award. There was NO way anyone else was going to top Shore. The man earned the award GOOD and PROPER. None of the other nominees stood a chance. Howard Shore OWZ ;D

BTW - did you know that Annie Lennox is formerly of the 80's electronica group called "Eurythmics"?

I thought it was 'The Eurythmics'? They had one of the strangest songs, I've ever heard/seen: "Sweet Dreams (are made of this)". The video showed the band playing while a cow showed his face every few seconds. Seeing that Video made me wonder if the song was about a dream of having sex with cows? What a weird dream that would have been. ;D

Speaking of the score for the movie, unfortunately my family members are not fans of the movies, and so do not understand why I turn up the volume every time the Movies' action theme music hits high gear. I got a not so good version of ROTK and enjoyed the movie even so.

I feel sorry for the other movies that had to compete with ROTK. They should have waited a year before releasing their movies.

Anyone saw the adult spoof 'The Lord of the G-String'? ;D ;D

Apple: Oscar-winning Return of the King used Shake
    By Peter Cohen pcohen@maccentral.com
    March 01, 2004 9:25 am ET

Apple noted that its advanced digital compositing software Shake served a crucial role in developing the special effects used in :The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King." It's the seventh consecutive year that Shake been used in an Oscar-winning movie, said Apple.

More of this story here