View Poll Results: If the price of a Fixed IP address was within reach, would you host your own website?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 40.91%
  • No

11 50.00%
  • Not sure

1 4.55%
  • What's a Website?

1 4.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If the price of a Fixed IP address was within reach, would you host your own website?

I wouldn't. I don't need my computer running a web server. Maybe if I had another computer sitting around, I would dedicate it to just serving my website. I would.

But it probably wouldn't make sense as I don't have a server version of windows and IIS with XP Pro has a limit on how many users can connect. (doesn't it?)
    Apache on a Linux server wouldn't do much either as I mainly work with ASP files.

I would go with a hosting company.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I think there's an ASP plugin for Linux that you could use.
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropy
    I think there's an ASP plugin for Linux that you could use.
    Yes there is, but it's not fully compatible with the latest vb script version from microsoft. It comes close though. I have used some of the software out there that emulates vb script on linux.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Hrm my take is, hosting is cheap so the cost to purchase a static IP plus electricity cost plus the fact the home hosting is not reliable. NO!

There is software like Wamp and Appserv that bundle PHP, Apache, MySQL for windows, so theres no excuse

Im thinking of buying a Mac Mini to run the site or i might buy a Dell Server.. $499 fairly reasonable

TwistedPair Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    There is software like Wamp and Appserv that bundle PHP, Apache, MySQL for windows, so theres no excuse

Im thinking of buying a Mac Mini to run the site or i might buy a Dell Server.. $499 fairly reasonable
    That’s all well and good but you have to consider maintenance of the server, data backups and making sure everything well patched and secure and also bandwidth considerations. Its easier to just pay the 4 - 8 dollars a month for hosting unless.

I personally would only opt for a static IP if I was going to run a game server or maybe streaming video and in that event maintenance would become a priority and the cost of the needed bandwidth the deciding factor.

$4 - 8 for hosting.. who does that out here???

TwistedPair Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    $4 - 8 for hosting.. who does that out here???
    I can't speak for the local places but out on the World Wide Web the average rate is about 8 dollars for entry to medium level package. The only real consolation of using a local provider, is knowing that he can't just disappear with your money.

I rather go with a hosting company, cheaper and less stress .