Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: !!!PC Parts Review!!!

Default !!!PC Parts Review!!!

Alot of threads keep popping up where people asking which mobo this, which video card that. This thread would be used as a review where actual owners of certain products can testify to the pros and cons of a particular product which can be compared and provide information for newcomers looking to build a PC.

I'll start with my ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe

Pros: Lot's of features, lots of cables and peripherals. Onboard 8CH audio is really impressive. Dual Gigalan works superbly. Overclocking is a breeze. Extremely n00b friendly. Bios update utility is nice too. 8 SATA plus 4 IDE??!!! My God man Easy to install....easy to setup....easy to work with.

Cons: SPACE....SPACE.....SPACE!!! Needs more space. For example, once my gpu is installed, one of the memory clips can't move. Not a problem but annnoying. Also those lots of peripherals, because of their location take up your PCI slot spaces, even though they nor you may ever use them so I guess that is a waste of space....which we need. Also the chipset fan is a brute. Kindy noisy compared to four other case fans plus the CPU fan and the huge one on the power supply. Also, the chipset fans tend to go after a couple months so get a replacement. cost about 4-10US.

I give it 5/5 though. All the other stuff are just annoyances. Nothing that would cause you not to want this great board.

2 X 1GBGskill DDR 400

Pros: The sexy red head spreaders. The price. Just about 150US including shipping to Jamdown. Plug and play capability. Ram timings came up automatically. 2.5-3-3-5. Crazy stuff. Both passed memtest running for 5 hours (memtest needs only to run for 20mins).

Cons:......hmmm................................... ..maybe the heatsinks should've been blue??? Can't think of any!!!

definately 5/5

Opteron 144 CAB2E

Pros: Come on...say it with me... 1mb cache!!! This processor is like those big 24 wheelers hauling some huge loads. Likkle but talawah!! It can OC up to 2.5 easily. Some people have manage to get it 3.0 on air....3.4 on water. By the way, the default is 1.8 . B2 memory controller is great.

Cons: Kinda hot but that's expected of opties. CAB2E stepping is not as good at OCing as the CABNE stepping which can get to 2.9 with ease on air.

4.5/5 because not as good as CABNE

eVGA 6600gt 128mb DDR3
    Pros: Mad sick, head gone. Runs most highend games like water. 500Mhz internal clock really a clock. Easy to OC. Pretty god for a 6600. DVI and HDTV support is easy to configure. BIG FAN!!!

Cons:.....kinda hot under load, 80C, but I hear that's normal.

5 coconuts for this baby

Now others can talk about theirs!
    Last edited by Electrotechnic; Apr 23, 2006 at 10:29 AM.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

nice idea electro .
    Macbook Core Duo 1.83ghz
    OS X 10.4.10 - 1.25gb Ram

Very good idea for a thread. so Techies lets get to work on our reviews of our pc components so hopefully this could one day become a STICKY !!
    Cel#4230348
    Email: dean.powell1@gmail.com

nice.....................
    getz mine the fast way, ski-mask way...
    christopher wallace r.i.p.

Asus A8V-e Deluxe, dont waste your time with this board.

cons: onboard USB 2.0 controllers do not function properly and cannot be fixed with a bios upgrade. Same problem like Electrotechnic's noisy chipset fan. Only 2 SATA controllers
    Pros: Love the onboard 54g wireless card and gigabit lan combo, good sound card.
    Workaround replace the chipset fan with a heatsink, install pci usb 2.0 cards with headers.
    I dream in my dream all the dreams of the other dreamers and I become the other dreamers.
    1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

Jus another con about te Assus A8N-Sli Deluxe, the chip set fan tends to fail, me and a few others have had that problem with it. But everything else that has been said it's true and it's an superb mobo,

thats why i get the a8n-sli premium cuz it fix all them problems
    one cons watch out for DOA
    Video Game Technician in Jamaica 3968609
    Ultra Aluminus Black Case/ASUS Rampage Formula 2 /Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 oc 3.6/ZALMAN CNPS9700/8GB G-Skill ripjaw DDR3 1600/EVGA GeForce GTX super oc 470 edition /SAMSUNG Black 32" Widescreen hdtv/etc/

Quote Originally Posted by **ScarFace**
    thats why i get the a8n-sli premium cuz it fix all them problems
    one cons watch out for DOA
    yup same reason i have sold my delux and got the premium a couple months ago

Never knew about the premium when i got the deluxe. I got it really cheap...and i just loved the specs...so i got it but that's the least. The fan can be replaced with a heat sink. My chipset is currently at 38C.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by twistakid
    Jus another con about te Assus A8N-Sli Deluxe, the chip set fan tends to fail, me and a few others have had that problem with it. But everything else that has been said it's true and it's an superb mobo,
    My 2 cents: The Asus A8N Deluxe is a realy good mobo with alot of features, the revision Asus A8N Deluxe has replaced the chipset fan with a bigger chipset fan. I am currenlty running the Asus A8N Deluxe rev mobo and i have no problems. If considering getting this mobo make sure its the rev. edition which has the bigger fan and also compatible with the new x2 processors.
    other thoughts, in my opinion the Asus A8N32 Deluxe is the best amd mobo out now.
    MaddMachine C2D E6850 @ 3.9 Chilled with Thermaltake Watercooling -Thermaltake Kandalf LCS -Thermaltake 850W psu -EVGA 680i A1 SLI - ASUS 4870x2 2GB -4GIG Corsair Dominator 1066mhz- LG 42''1080P LCD + 24'' Acer Monitors - Seagate 320GB+500GB sata ll HD - 2 X Liteon 20x Sata -Logitech MX 5500 KB + MX revolution mouse & G7 Laser mouse Logitech Z5500 5.1. - SB XFI.