Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Future of Java

Default Re:Future of Java

Hey what are all the negative talks about JAVA. Like any programming language JAVA have its strenghts and weaknesses. But the strenghts far outwiegh the weaknesses. JAVA the is the best language for dedveloping N-tier enterprise application. I have program something or another in several different languages and JAVA is the best thing since slice bread

I will say this, "Java is embraced by the open source community." This is it's stregth.

I like Java.

I am traditionally a Delphi programmer coming from Visual Basic. I now use Java for Web applications (Java Server Pages) and I have no complaints. As editor says it is well supported by the Open Source community. So Java is great for thin client solutions. Just ensure that you have lots of memory and good hardware.

For regular desktop (fat client) solutions Java may be considered slow, but with faster hardware nowadays I am seeing this less of a problem as the years go by.

Well..This is what Sun is doing with it....

What if windows were translucent so that you could see the multiple windows you're working on at the same time? What if you could tack a note to yourself right on the Web page you're viewing? What if your CD or movie database became a 3D jukebox, where titles were joined with images to make finding what you want easier than ever?

Sun Microsystems' latest innovations by its Advanced Software Technology Team will make these "what-ifs" a reality for the desktop of the near future. Code-named Project Looking Glass, these Java technology-based developments will bring 3D windowing capabilities to the desktop to offer a far richer user experience for work and play. But, it's not only about looks, it's about creating an engaging user experience, one that can make communications and collaboration even easier.

In the Project Looking Glass prototype, windows displaying applications are no longer stacked upon each other with flat icons and buttons to represent them; they are viewed in a 3D environment and manipulated as 3D objects. Project Looking Glass is moving beyond the boundaries of old environments to revolutionize the use of the desktop.

http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/index.html

i culd say alot about java, but i wont, enuff has been said. just wanted to say i like java, i wish i used it more. if u really want to make useful web applications that are very user friendly yet very functional at the same time, for all those half-computer literate business men, doctors, lawyers, pastors, etc. Java is a very good tool. Ive always been amazed at it because it allows me to write c/c++ level applications for the web, something that an ordinary scripting language lacks. True it tends to be slow, but technology especially network speeds are on a fast rise, so that wont matter so much very soon.

But php is still good, especially when used with a little javascript. All im saying is you use what best suits the application that your developing.

Java does have tremedous potential and as mentioned earlier it used extensively with cell phones. All you Nokia owners out there, the app and the games on ur device were programmed in java and not C or C++.