Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future of Java

Default Re:Future of Java

As I said before Java can run on any enviroment. Weather it be a stand alone application, a distributed application, an appliance or a communication.

Java: write once, "test" everywhere. There model fizzled out a long time ago.

MS dealt them a major blow by first, not including the JVM with winXP and after their day in court including an outdated version.

As an aside:
    People, when doing GUIs avoid Java like the plague.

To so my grossly mislead wise-one.....even the outdated JVM can still run apps. If the code is designed right it can detect the JVM and run the appropriate version.

I am going to stray from the topic slightly by asking your opinions on the Future for Java here in Jamaica. ???

The future is where we get the most return for invested dollar. If there is little need for highly scalable apps, then we can get away with VB querying an MA Access db for standalone apps. However, if we want scalability we cannot get too attached any one language. Being flexible enough to adapt and get the greatest return on invested dollar is what we should be focusing on. Each project will bring its own set of challenges. With that in mind, choice of the best set of tools and resources will vary from project to project. Having Java in your tool box increases its flexibility.

Thank God I gots it in ma arsenal ;D

Default Why use Java

A little disappointed with the scope of the discussion so far. Whilst Java has a lot to offer for delivering applications across multiple interface choices (phones, browser etc.), as matronyx pointed out, it is heavy on hardware requirements. Its very nature compiled and interpreted lends itself to huge amounts of memory!

The reason for Java's popularity IMHO lies in the server room/backend.

Platform Independence thru open source...multiplatform
    As a Java developer your applications may be hosted on Sun Solaris, Intel Linux, Intel Windows, IBM (AIX, OS/400, mainframe), HP/UX... This gives u as the developer the maximum reach in terms of user base! Alternatively, an organisation that invests in Java can deploys its Java applications across this wide rage of hardware and software. Remember also, that you have a choice of application server, Jakarta Tomcat, IBM WebSphere, BEA Weblogic etc. Indeed as an organisation you retain the right to deploy technology to suite your vision and not limited to any vendors interpretation of technology. Something die hard Microsoft zealots will never experience! There are cases of organisation interchanging Sun and IBM hardware and middleware as their needs dictated, whilst preserving their application logic in Java classes. (Bun fiya…fire for the stored procedure model!)

In terms of scalability, I hope it is clear, that using Java, and a 3 tier application architecture your scalability options are almost limitless. (From small Intel, midrange UNIX or AS/400 to the big z mainframes)

With the new Eclipse (www.eclispe.org) open source development workbench, there is full support for all aspects of software development under one uniform framework. (ie. u do not have to learn 20 different IDE's to complete one application). This is the nicest part for me!

If you write apps that take advantage of caching and memory management your app will run faster.

It doesn't look good.... in fact, many are seeing the buzzards circling Sun's camp....just waiting for the last breath to be spent... :'(

Sun Microsystems crossed the line from "troubled" to "doomed" yesterday. This is sad news for the open-source community, and we need to think about how we're going to deal with it. The most pressing questions are, "What becomes of Java?" and, "What becomes of OpenOffice.org?" These are questions that matter.
    I really hope that JAVA becomes OpenSource before it's too late.... :-\

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/10/02/1240243

Why do you say the buzzards are circling? ??? The article does not lead to that conclusion. Java has the backing of SUN, IBM, HP, and Oracle. Where do you see the buzzards? That is a statement without any merit.