Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future of Java

Default Re:Future of Java

U missed the point Mr. Knight,Worm is not the reason i use java,i use java because it can develop any type of application,from all indications u are a web man,i develop a lot of different applications i want to know a language inside out and this language should be able to develop any type of app php is made for the web,java is made for anything.

Maybe my assumptions are a little shortsighted. I pretty much take multi platform to mean multiple systems, I should probably broaden it to include multiple architectures.

Though I could debate the 'hype' behind such a technology has overshadowed the product, I wont digress from the point.

I'll give you that, Java is multiplatform, and I've never tried to take that away from it. Many other languages are multiplatform too, and by that I mean multiple architectures.

What I'm asking for is the one thing that sets Java apart.

I'm willing to bet that there isn't such a 'feature'. Why? Because there isn't such a feature in ANY language today. The moment something is conceptualized, it capitalized.

No one language will rule and no one language is totally unique. Java is no exception.

However, more power to you. I have no problem with it. The only languages I truly have an issue with are ASP (vbscript) and Cobol. ASP because it's microsoft and Cobol because it's....Cobol (nothing should be that arcane. dump all the legacy systems).

Use Java, make some open source applications and we'll all live happily ever after.

How about the fact that Java is a truly Object Oriented Language (I know that C++ is as well)?
    With little effort it is possible to create truly reusuable products/components. That's important to me.

If you have created a "speaker object", assuming the interface was done properly. it is very easy to attach that "speaker object" to any "audio output object" with java.

At the end of the day Java is about working with reusuable objects. This can be imitated in other languages, but some of the strict requirements of the Java compiler result in cleaner objects and more predictable code.

For webdevelopment I tend to use PHP, because it's everywhere, however I can see the benefits of JSP for larger projects. If you want to have a scalable and manageable project it MUST be object oriented. BTW if you're a webdeveloper and want the "OOness" of java but can't have java, for whatever reason, try Zope (http://www.zope.org).

There are resuable java components for everything from XML parsing to SWF creation and this is growing all the time.

In summary, I like Java, I'm still on the learning curve though. My biggest problem is that I find Java programs to be sluggish... at least on Linux (the platform I use most frequently). I've got lots more to say but maybe in another post.

I have been actively looking for the advantages of Java and wasn't really impressed with the fact that its major advantage was its "cross-platformness". Devo23 made an important point about persons using Java and not benefiting from its "cross-platformness".

Now, recently I have started seeing its benefits. I have a Zaurus and recently I developed a small app in Java (windows) which I was able to run in Linux and then finally I simply copied it to my Zaurus and had it running. Now, using java I am able to write complex apps for my Zaurus.
    Using the same Java language.

Outside of my situation, Java is most benefitial when you are writting large apps at the enterprise level. The code is also reusable if written properly.

I think that I will get more into Java.

lets see the positives of using JAVA:

1. Multiplatform compatible (runs on anything that has a jvm)
    2. Popular thus making support a click away
    3. NO LIMIT as to what you can code with it

Downside to JAVA:

1. Nyam whole heapa memory ;D
    2. JVM takes a while_ to load
    3. Classes used take a while_ to load

while_ == long_time;

Over the last 4 months or so I've been doing some extensive work with Java.

Delving into everything from file i/o and graphics to implementing expression trees and disjoint sets.

After all of my research and development I've come to the conclusion.....Java still pretty much sucks. I'm sorry ppl, it just does.

However, I'm still glad I got the opportunity to learn so much more about it. Maybe now Nokia can hire me to create embedded applications for their new line of Linux driven phones.

you tried any of the apps u created on your phone?

I haven't even tried them on my laptop....'cept the last one.

Because Java can run everywhere, hence the slogan "Write once run everywhere", Java is very important. It(java) has very high commercial value, especially in Jamaica.

That's why i think its good for one to equip themselves with this programming language to at least get some experience.

Question though: Here in Ja, What are the various environments that we run Java on. Do we really have that many?