Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of Java

Default Future of Java

I am planning to get into Java just for the fun of it. I honestly can't see the benefits of Java over other programming tools except that it is cross-platform and it is IDE-less (so I can have a java compiler on my hand-held).

Where do you think Java is heading? Java is gaining popularity in Ja but sometimes I wonder if we know what we are doing.

Default Re:Future of Java

Java.....what can I say about Java.....It's was cheap, it was good, now I have to zip up my pants, kick it out the door and go home to my full time language.

As I had asked before, show me some outstanding benefits to Java and I will retract every belittling statement I've made.

I'm not gonna cast them aside yet, I'll wait to see what later incarnations will bring, however right now, I'll use something else.

RobyG I think that’s the key, Its Cross-platform. I am thinking, if one can code for any device so long as its running a Virtual Machine (VM), then the future is theirs. Some 2.G and all 3G phone, PDAs and Hybrids- combination of phone and PDA, use third party apps like your regular windows machines. This is interesting because one will soon be shopping for OS or OS upgrades for your phone. To date Symbian the makers of the EPOC OS that runs on phones and a particular PDA Recommends its developers use Java as one of the main languages. I think you will be more flexible since you will be able to write for both workstation and phone with one familiar language.

Regards,
    Kacey.

from applets to telephony applications java does it all,simple to code and the code is clean.Who ever does not see the benefits of java must be an idiot,webservices j2ee i mean java is the future c# for the gates subjects but java is for everyone who are able to tie their own shoes laces

[quote author=jrcdba link=board=10;threadid=255;start=0#1882 date=1037824133]
    Who ever does not see the benefits of java must be an idiot
    [/quote]

As of this writing you're only at 2 posts and alredy with the name calling?

You state that everyone should see the benefits of java but you're yet to state one.

The floor is yours...

Java is an Intrepreted programming language used to create programs designed for the web. Originally developed by Sun MicroSystems, in recent times I have not seen and new developments or break throughs in the structure of the language though...

The major benefit off the top of my head would be the close language structure to c/c++ so if you know java well you will be able to write c/c++ progs with little or no learning curve

sorry for being so offensive,my last post spoke of java's many uses based on these alone one can see advantages in using the language,u said once php is a swiss army knife,but java is the true swiss army knife:
    automatic memory management(unlike c++)
    clean interfaces(unlike c++)
    no pointers(thus allows amatuers to catch on ;D)
    embedded systems suppost off the bat unlike(visual c++ or basic)
    hope theses help and sorry for the idiot comment

Well, to be truthfull, those really aren't compelling advantages to using Java. I know that there are companies using Java in Ja. today, but I am very concerned about whether its being used in the right way. I know that the cross-platform capability is a major selling point of the Java language, but how many persons, especially here in Ja. have really benefitted from that?

So if so many people are saying that we should use Java because its cross-platform, then are these persons actually developing applications that are running on multiple platforms? Make no mistake, I love the Java language, but like CKnight rightly said: "It's was cheap, it was good, now I have to zip up my pants, kick it out the door and go home to my full time language."

They are different types of programmers and programs.
    The windows programmer uses VB and to lesser extent
    Visual C++ to write components but suppose he wants to write a multithreaded application he has to switch back and forth between visual c++(for low level functinality) and VB (for GUI interface and easier component generation), Java wins here because threads are supported.java via servlets can replace all of the phps and asp's of the world.

The Unix programmer wants to create an application with a SQl backend and web front end but requires some advance function such as message in the form of a human voice,he could use c and asp,but again multiple langauges.All i am saying is Java allows a programmer to develop any type of application in a single environment.

Look at it this way java accomplishes any thing visual studio can but not all the languages in VS can develop every app java is capable of.

Here's my situation.

I develop on PHP (*gasp*) on a windows machine using IIS and Microsoft SQL Server. When I'm done, I move it over to a Linux machine, running apache.

The only thing I change are all the 'mssql' references to 'mysql' (and that's not the case if I develop on the windows version of MySQL which I do most often).

Is that the same cross platform that you're talking about?

To make it simple, all cross platform means is that a compiler/interpreter has been written for multiple platforms that will map your function call to the appropriate resource without you having to do anything.