Thread: Windows XP & Image Types Problem

Default Windows XP & Image Types Problem

Has this ever happened to anyone here before? Whenever you try to save an image, for instance from the web, you are not allowed to save it as anything else other than a Bitmap image and the "Save As Type" only allows for Bitmap and it does not automatically put the file name as the original name of the file?

Has it ever happened to anyone else? It's happened to me a few times and it took a few restarts before I got back my precious jpgs and gifs. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a better solution other than a restart?

Feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Default Re:Windows XP & Image Types Problem

[quote author=rreky link=board=5;threadid=2573;start=0#msg24516 date=1071086572]
    Has this ever happened to anyone here before? Whenever you try to save an image, for instance from the web, you are not allowed to save it as anything else other than a Bitmap image and the "Save As Type" only allows for Bitmap and it does not automatically put the file name as the original name of the file?

Has it ever happened to anyone else? It's happened to me a few times and it took a few restarts before I got back my precious jpgs and gifs. Does anyone know why this is? Is there a better solution other than a restart?

Feedback would greatly be appreciated.
    [/quote]
    assuming this happens only with the default browser.. you can

a) Use/Switch to Mozilla or Opera
    b) Install quicktime or photoshop and cut and paste the image into them...
    c) Cut and past into word or excel or publisher (they accept most image files)
    d) scan for a virus (there are some virii that attack image files and its subsystem)
    e) Re-install M$ Wind0w$

You can't reload (dlls) certain libraries under Windows... you have to restart to get them running again. I can't remember for certain but I have reason to believe that ANYTHING mildly or remotely related to the graphics subsystem under Windows is a required restart. which presents

f) Check the microsoft knowledge database for more complete answers.

--matane
    Gillion

[quote author=GILLION link=board=5;threadid=2573;start=0#msg24520 date=1071087539]
    assuming this happens only with the default browser.. you can

a) Use/Switch to Mozilla or Opera
    b) Install quicktime or photoshop and cut and paste the image into them...
    c) Cut and past into word or excel or publisher (they accept most image files)
    d) scan for a virus (there are some virii that attack image files and its subsystem)
    e) Re-install M$ Wind0w$

You can't reload (dlls) certain libraries under Windows... you have to restart to get them running again. I can't remember for certain but I have reason to believe that ANYTHING mildly or remotely related to the graphics subsystem under Windows is a required restart. which presents

f) Check the microsoft knowledge database for more complete answers.

--matane
    Gillion
    [/quote]

This also happens with an email client. Cutting and pasting the image is too much work. It should be working right and it should be easy. That's the purpose of technology eh? If it is a virus... would it just go away with a restart? I doubt it but feel free to correct me if I am wrong. A reinstall is indeed in the near future. What's funny too is that it took two restarts before this problem was "fixed." After the first restart it just did the same thing. However it was corrected on the second time around.

I have met upon this before, I think it lies within how Microsoft designed IE.
    A workaround is to clear your temporary internet files in Internet Options.

[quote author=MatrOnyx link=board=5;threadid=2573;start=0#msg24530 date=1071091604]
    I have met upon this before, I think it lies within how Microsoft designed IE.
    A workaround is to clear your temporary internet files in Internet Options.
    [/quote]

Well... I met up on the same issue just now and I cleared my Temporary Internet Files all to no avail... >

I've had this prolem too. But it appears to be a broswer thing but not with all versions. At work runnign 2k prof. when I visit carandmodel.com and save the pics it always shows a bmp, but at home runnign XP it saves them as bmp. the browser is IE but the versions are different.

I'm guessing that the webmaster may have something to do with how the pictures are saved but thats just a theory.

Solution here.

I must also add that whenever a webpage uses JavaScript to load images onto a page, you will also have this problem. You can check the source code on the page and look for a:

document.write("\\url\image.jpg"

in the code that loads your picture. This also causes the same behaviour.

Good work Xeno. I don't think it gets any clearer than that. If that fails then...re-install windows ok rreky.......... After running windows for some time maybe like 6 months or more, windows tends to get very buggy, and strange things starts happening to your system. I re-install my Windows XP Pro every 4-5 months. After installing a bunch of programs and browsing the web the registry will get bogged down with alot of crap, also the FAT entries will get real messed up after a while. Doing regular defragments, and scandisk don't really help the situation especially if you're running NTFS file systems. Hey rreky its microsoft, its windows, its buggy....just backup and do a fresh install................

Suse or Mandrake hhhhmmm
    Cultus