View Poll Results: What do you look for when selecting a RDBMS

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mysql vs. Postgresql

Default Mysql vs. Postgresql

I use Postgresql[largest table ~8M records] daily in my company and find that performance wise it is very good (just remember ,Vacuum 3x/week).While Mysql[largest table ~3M records] , which is being used for a few systems (one being a complicated Chat system) is slow and has issues with stability.
    So , my question is why then do people continue to promote and use mysql(3.23.x) with half hacked transaction support over a far more stable and robust Postgresql (7.2.x).
    What do you look for in a RDBMS , Speed , power, Features or price.
    -Kurt ;D

Default Re:Mysql vs. Postgresql

So then Craig your only consideration is speed. Tell me this, have you ever tried to explain why (Mysql)server downtime is so high to your boss ? or why mysql during a crash, at times of heavy inserts you get a "lovely" corruption of its tables , extending your downtime as you run a myisamchk or reload the DB from backup ? But if speed is your only consideration well good luck.
    What of unsupported features of mysql eg. stored procedures, triggers or Foreign keys, (heres a nice one) "ON DELETE CASCADE" is not supported nor no B-tree indexing or what is that crap HEAP table implementation such that if you are not very carefull with your system resources can result in DB errors (and data loss).
    I will give them this much , Mysql 4.0 does support In memory Query Caching which is very cool(tm)
    -Kurt

Who's Craig?

I'd respond to the points you've raised but I've never experienced any of the aforementioned faults. Maybe my inserts aren't big enough, who knows, but it's been my experience that MySQL is as stable as Linux itself. Don't get me wrong, this is just my personal experience (though I've never some across anyone who's faced the issues you've raised). And how much down time have you actually experienced with MySQL or any DBMS?

It's a known fact in the world of MySQL that it's slow on inserts, I'll give you that, but it shines in other areas to make up for the faults, selects for instance. Yes, again I'm basing my argument on speed but the bottom line is, it's the only issue that has ever come up in my time working with MySQL.

MySQL 4 will have better support for standard features like stored procedures so maybe you should wait on this highly anticipated version before you make your judgement.

Keep in mind, MySQL is the youngest player in the DB market, it needs time to mature.

From a lay-mans perspective...why then is MySQL the most popular DB promoted/offered by Web Hosts? (from what I've seen)

Because of performance. For a hosting company speed is probably the biggest bottom line. They'll sacrifice a lot once they have that feature.

MySQL is sucky on inserts and updates, but great on selects.
    The vast majority of website hits are views, not edits. People look at information more than they change it. A DBMS that sacrifices insert speed for selects makes the perfect application for this purpose. There are other benefits, but from a lay point of view, that may be the easiest to explain.

Sorry I thought that your name was Craig Knight however I may have been assuming incorrectly.
    The problems i have raised are not unique to my company. However this does not mean that things have not improved with later releases (we have recently upgraded production servers to 3.23.50) .
    Actully Mysql is very fast on INSERT since traditionally it did not support Transactions -does now with InnoDB- however now with innodb we have a insert buffer to deal with large INserts and preven D state processes (if you use innodb and have slow inserts set autocommit to 0).
    We experience very litte (less than 5%)downtime with Postgresql and Oracle (I don't touch this) and With Mysql between products such as OAS,Tacoda,Flatfox and Chatxtra we get about 80% uptime excluding Hardware related downtime.
    I have been using Mysql for long enough to know what it lacks and why it will never hold a candle to a REAL (ANSI compliant ) RDBMS. As for 4.0 we have been using this in test since Feb of this year and I am impressed with it's speed and finally the ability to use more compilent SQL with Innodb.
    While it is young i just wish people would stop hyping it so much , after all a DB stores important data and not just used of random file access. If all you want is speed in you DB then i guess you are correct , use Mysql.
    -Kurt
    P.s. I have Mysql 4.0.2 and it still does not support Stored procedures, i guess it may come later.
    To get similar insert speed with Postgresql try using COPY (eg. COPY MY_TABLE FROM '/path/to/kurts/data_file' however this method while fast does not activate/utilize triggers.

[quote author=chris link=board=8;threadid=28;start=0#101 date=1027001061]
    From a lay-mans perspective...why then is MySQL the most popular DB promoted/offered by Web Hosts? (from what I've seen)
    [/quote]
    This is a due to the fact that many open source (small) apps are written to make use of it hance the name LAMP[Linux Apache Mysql Perl/PHP] and the fact that it is fast on inserts and somewhat fast on selects.
    Larger companies for -example mine- tend to use Postgresql or Oracle since stability is more important than speed.
    That Mysql benchmark is very suspect , since i cannot find if they did indexing on heavly inserted tables (which is bad) just how the postgresql DB was tuned or why vacuuming was not done.
    However small lightweight apps usually require less power and stability.
    -kurt

MySQL's speed is probably due to the fact that it does not offer certain features such as triggers, stored procedures, etc

More mature RDBMS offer these features so it is not a surprise that they would be slower. From my experience, large companies are more concerned with data integrity than say speed. It is believed by many that true RDBMS must have all the bells and wistles and I am beginning to agree with them. I would go with Postgresql anyday because I am able to store most of the business logic at the database level so that changing or adding front ends using Delphi, Java, VB , etc is easy.

Since we are on the topic, an excellent Database Server is Advantage Database Server (ADS) by Extended Systems (of which I am a partner). There is of course a linux version and Win 98/NT/2000/XP version. I have been using it as back-end for projects for a few years now. Go to www.advantagedatabase.com and see for yourself.

- RobyG

Hey Rob.
          I hope this is not a reflection on the quality of ADS ;D :P
    Active Server Pages

error 'ASP 0126'

Include file not found

/NR/exeres/00000695mhxglvoabhyzzamn/Channel+Default+Redirect.asp, line 1

I guess the site is down.
    -Kurt
    The include file '/NR/System/Access/Resolution.inc' was not found.