Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cross over network cables

Default Re:cross over network cables

suppose it was win 98 se

There is a software/utiltiy that was shipped with 98se that allowed you to do internet connection sharing....can't remember the name.... but it may have been one of thoose that did not install automatically you had to install after setup.

ok but on a linux box how do i setup the internet connection sharing using the cross over cables to transfer files

[quote author=psimpsonjr link=board=3;threadid=251;start=0#1921 date=1037973728]
    ok but on a linux box how do i setup the internet connection sharing using the cross over cables to transfer files
    [/quote]
    You setup the box using the Mandrake Control Center tool MCC (GUI) go to internet sharing.
    Otherwise you need to simply use the Linux box as a gateway (router for more complex networsk). So all you have to do is hook up the client box to the linux box and tell the client that the host is a gateway. and all network trafic goes through it. IT is simpler in linux than windows.
    DHCPD usually does that sort of thing by default. On Xandros it is easy as well.

--Simon (I think)

[quote author=psimpsonjr link=board=3;threadid=251;start=0#1921 date=1037973728]
    [/quote]

I think I can help u with that if u still need the help. What version Linux u running? Just to see if I have this right... You have a Linux box and u want to use it to share the Internet to other computers (or one computer) and at the same time connect a second computer directly to the Linux box using a cross-over cable?

Well just lemme know.