Thread: Is Microsoft's .NET Architecture used much in JAMAICA???

Default Is Microsoft's .NET Architecture used much in JAMAICA???

Hey PPL,

I'm planning to do my MCSD, since I love programming, and that way i'd atleast master one language (i.e. VB) & a DBMS (SQL Server 2000). However, I haven't heard much talk about .NET out here. I wanted to do MCSD 6, first and then .NET after but I dont know if its a waste of time to do VB6. I would assume VB6 is more widely used so i would do that first. Later on I'd do .NET to be up to date...

What do you ppl think... MCSD6 or MCSD.NET ???

Default Re:Is Microsoft's .NET Architecture used much in JAMAICA???

If I were you, I'd do the .NET. Why? For the following simple reasons:
    • Gone are the days of the monotype programming language, where each programming language has its own memory addressing scheme, datasets, protocols, keywords etc. They have unified DBMS packages using the ODBC protocol framework and now they are doing the same to programming languages. Microsoft has taken all of the major programming languages for the Windows platform and created a standard memory addressing scheme, where each programming language gives the same output, takes the same inputs, operates on the same datatypes, can run inside the same IDE and uses the same compiler. That way, several different programmers can work on the same project using several different languages. This eliminates the need for a single programmer knowing all 7 major languages out there (C/C++, Basic, Cobol, Delphi, Java, Pascal, FoxPro) - since they will all be handled by the same compiler. This is made possible by a unified framework called .NET. The .NET framework has already unified the C & C++ language sets into C#, employing some of the RAD (Rapid Application Development) features of Visual Basic.
    • Unified programming platforms are less costly for businesses as they only pay for one software license, as opposed to several. So it's more cost-effective than buying several software packages. Also it means less work for developers (Ever wondered how they can churn out games at such a rapid rate?) as this means that they don't have to physically code their own protocol sets to communicate between programs written in different languages.
    • Every language developer out there and the committees governing those languages have agreed upon the unified framework of .NET and are currently busy porting their programming languages for the framework. This means that some key words will be deprecated and replaced by new ones. For example, in Visual Basic .NET, you cannot use:

Redim arrayName(upperLimit To lowerLimit)

anymore to redefine the limits on an array as you would in Visual Basic 6. Instead, you use:

Redim Preserve arrayName (newSize)

in Visual Basic .NET. Not only is this a shorter method, but the new array set in memory will conform to the same byte set that is used by C# or Visual C++. So in other words, an array defined in Visual Basic .NET can be referenced by a program in Visual C#. Since all development committees are moving towards the .NET platform, it would be silly to certify one's self in what is fast becoming an archaic programming methodology.

So in a nutshell, a programming platforms are moving towards the unified framework methodology. IBM has already done this with the WebSphere framework. Macromedia and W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) have unified the "Flash", "XML", "DHTML", "JScript/VBscript" and a number of other web packages into the MX framework. So you see this is a trend occurring for all things development-wise. Everybody is doing it because they realise how much easier it will be to have one program doing all those functions, and how cost effective it is (seriously dropping development and licensing costs) to unify programming / development languages.

The Bottomline: I STRONGLY recommend that you do your MCSD in Visual Basic .NET. Not only is it a part of the platform of the future, but you wouldn't have to re-certify since VB6 certifications are being deprecated in light of the powerful new .NET feature set. I hope I made your decision a LOT easier.

I must say though sean, the title of the thread is a bit misleading.

If the title of the thread is what you're asking, then you should know that the .NET platform is being used by the largest software development firm in Jamaica, namely Management Control Systems. Other companies are quickly following suit.

Thanx A LOT Xenocrates!!!

Not ??? Any more

Sorry for the confusion, but I actually had two questions, one was whether "Microsoft's .NET Architecture used much in JAMAICA?", and the one regarding my MCSD, was based on the answer to the first question.

I have started and stopped VB6 soooo many times, i just thought i'd just get it over and done with...

But your posts were VERY helpfull....THANKS AGAIN!

.NET ALL THE WAY!!!

Glad I could help Sean. That's what this site's all about mon ami.

On another note, that Avatar of yours ROCKS!!!

VB6 knowledge is very good to have still, lots of code to maintain. .NET framework is some sweet stuff, if you're going to be doing new developments go with .NET.

Not sure if this was mentioned b4 (never read the other posts fully :-[), but .NET is fully Object Oriented, you will need to wrap your head around objects to get the full benefits from the framework.

Hmm..interesting....MCS seems to be where its at nowadays (IMO)...seem they are always working on some intresting stuff.

I like sean wonder how wide scale it is too...> Xeno...whats the dev tool of choice on the Govt. Side