Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What led you to Programming?

Movies.

I always wondered how, in Sci-Fi movies, people would write programs to make the computers do stuff like interface with new hardware devices.

I bought the first QBasic book i came across, and tried it out myself.
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.

I always wanted to do something in IT but wasn't sure what. Programming for me officially started in 6th form but then I went on to UTECH and had to learn a diff programming language each sem. no turning back now.

i was interested in making games since grade 5, long before i ever saw a real computer(no console ting). i designed lots of characters in first through third form at Ardenne. I started doing IT and Computing in fourth form, but never started the game.

i been programming since utech( after doing sixth form). I guess i been genetically engineered to program. i've only been programming for like 5 years but my boss sez its like i'm in the business 10 years.

Its a real laugh when you get paid to do stuff you been doin for free most of your free time. so far its been a good experience. i'm learning a lot every day.

some day i hope to create a language to express programs in straight business logic. yup, ENGLISH.
    Manager just speaks his business into a microphone, and after a few ambiguities are resolved, VOILA, application written with database, users, roles, security, logging, reports, exception handling... the works. all that is left is for the graphice person to adjust the report fields on the forms and reports no programming... i mean NO CODING.
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by icymint3

some day i hope to create a language to express programs in straight business logic. yup, ENGLISH.
    Manager just speaks his business into a microphone, and after a few ambiguities are resolved, VOILA, application written with database, users, roles, security, logging, reports, exception handling... the works. all that is left is for the graphice person to adjust the report fields on the forms and reports no programming... i mean NO CODING.

think of the implications this would cause on the development scene. developers would probalby hate you.

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    think of the implications this would cause on the development scene. developers would probalby hate you.
    hate lol ....pay for you to be killed
    Phoqry

When I left sixth form I was totally computer illiterate (I didnt own a PC or had access to one)! went to look a summer job before I started UWI in september, couldn't find a job because all involved some form of a data entry (not even that I couldn't do), so devasted I wanted to a do a six week course, then someone suggest I try computer science first year. I failed my lab test miserable which was to type a 25 line word doc in 45 minutes, only finished about 5 lines cuz I didnt know to turn off caps lock! I never gave up though, and spent hours in the lab, even spent one christmas eve there. Paid off in the end, graduated with first class honours in CS, never stopped programming since!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift ... that is why it is called the present

the first time i was introduce to some type of programming was in 4th form @ JC, they taught us pseudocode algorithm. from then i started exploring html programming using notepad. from there i went on to teach myself qbasic, which was similiar to pseudocode but different keywords. when I went to 6th form, me and Andy started the Computer Club (2000-2002) where i taught the programming aspect. I can say it was a wonderful experience to teach person who became good programmers. (i was taught foxpro in sixth which i found out was kind of useless to me). from there i went on to Utech doing Computing & I.T (which is programming orientated for those who plan to do programming well that is until u reach 4th yr). I have a passion for programming. whenever i start coding, it is like i just dont want to stop. one ting though, the weakness/strength with programming for me, i would hardly do anyting at al; i could code for days none stop just to solve a problem.
    live good today cause u will never know wat will happen 2marrow and it was never promised to no man either

I started C programming in 5th form computer science class because I had done computer science in CXC the year before, so computer class was pretty much a free session for me. My computer teacher was apparantly taking computer courses part time and she had her C book. I started writing C code on paper.

Why? I like computers, it made sense that I made them do what i wanted. I had previously started learning pascal from a book I found lying around my house. Also as an aside, I found a C compiler at home shortly after I found the C book at school. I could go on, but in short if I didnt start programming it probably would have been wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican
    hate lol ....pay for you to be killed
    Nobody should get killed for making state of the art tools. Visual Studio IDE is one, i mean you could always go into graphics, or entertainment. The future is not IT(employment that is).
    If your job isn't linked to entertainment, you will be replaced by a robot, some machine or software. You better be in something that requires creativity, computers can't do that.................well.
    If you love to code (like me), you can still have it as a hobby

Anyway, dada, a threat y' a sen to di I. Mi nu appreciate the tone.
    Last edited by icymint3; Mar 29, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

It started with SNAKE.BAS

Snake game that came with DOS 6 (i believe) and QBASIC. One of the first things i tried to do was to alter movementspeeds (and i think investigate the collision-detection).