Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What led you to Programming?

Default What led you to Programming?

Programming is fun.

I was introduced to programming by friends at UWI who told me that programming was pretty amazing, and that it was easy. Then one day during registration, I realized that one of the courses that I wanted to do was unavailable due to shortage of students, bummer, so I decided to fill the gap with a CS course since it is no extra cost and I had space in my time-table.

Well I found out that it was not so easy. I was fascinated however and kept looking at the things that I could do but I did not know how just yet. My lecturer fed us with knowledge and I would go home and stare at my compiler. After about a month, I could put together a few lines and understand what they did, and I did my very first hello world with input. That was the most exiting thing in school ever in terms of education.

My question is, what caused you to do programming? Were you interested before you started? Did you see or hear about any exiting stuff that you could do? Was the source a book, magazine, or word of mouth? Did you just want an extra course, then later find it to be exiting? Did programming, also, live up to your expectation, or top it?

I have to admit that programming is every bit amazing as my friends had told me, even better.
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

well simply put school draw me into it and the desire of maybe designig my own game one day bieng that im a game head
    self proclaimed GADGETking
    berries useful but sometimes make me sick, apples are better but cliding, so im not part a the fruity alliance heres my bbpin:null
    make the link (876) 386-0468 or dtgo4eva@gmail.com--

My brother bought a programmable calculator while I was in thrid form of high school and a avid math lover. I took the calculator's programming guide (which was in basic) and coded it to draw my graphs. I loved it since then.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    My brother bought a programmable calculator while I was in thrid form of high school and a avid math lover. I took the calculator's programming guide (which was in basic) and coded it to draw my graphs. I loved it since then.
    Yeah that's bad

well simply put school draw me into it and the desire of maybe designig my own game one day bieng that im a game head
    One day I will do a game, just that I am focused more at making money now
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

I have to do it every semester.

a friend of mine wrote an application for my keyclub. to manage out project reports it was the coolest thing, my keyclub at wolmers boys was the only school that had a computerized reporting system that at the end of the month we just hit print and it printed everything. same guy then wrote a browser with vb then moved on to conquering delpi. i was impressed and gave it a shot this wa sin 3rd form. there was no looking back. climbed the ranks from vb to c++ to php and dabbled in other langauges which never seemd to hold my interest.

It started with a commodore 64 back in second form. I'm mostly self taught or taught by friends, very little formal education in programming, except for that one uninspiring vb6 course .

Before I was into computers fulltime I used to play around with coding and design and stuff, eventually it was obvious that I should get deeper into to this and pursue it as a career.
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

Way back before time (1975) I took Fortran in College using Mag cards to input data into the largest computer I have ever seen lol. Years later I was asked to assist in the development of Lotus 123 and got into writing programs, macros and language for a few years. Haven't dabbled into programming again for many years but try to keep up still.
    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I've always been fascinated at the fact of creating an controlling stuff but did not get the oppurtunity until couple years ago... got an addiction to java and try to learn everything now.

Quote Originally Posted by crosswire
    Yeah that's bad

One day I will do a game, just that I am focused more at making money now
    Creating a game from scratch for one person will be some task, I am also interested in doing this thats y i'm doing 3d modeling and a little graphics with gimp, you will need all this if you want to create the game in it's entirety.

Don't see myself creating my 3d game anytime soon i'm also into making money now ... don't have the time to devote to 3ds max now.

Programming for me was an accident, wanted to go to an Aeronautical University but that was during the country's financial crisis. So I saw an advert in the paper for a company looking to train persons to be software engineers..did the tests etc and the rest as they say is history.

Love it though, helps you to think logically. I think pseudocode @ least sshould be taught in schools it helps develop the mind.

The next thing I like is that the stuff doesn't get stale...I love that....i'm always reading...(have 2 book inna mi cyar right ya now).

Delly