Thread: Oracle licences Jabber technology

Default Oracle licences Jabber technology

Okay...

There is continuing evidence that instant messaging is going to be the next big thing. Still too early to tell if it is something that companies want or it is just something that developers are trying to push.

At any rate, Oracle is jumping into the instant messaging arena by licencing Jabber's technology to work with its collaboration suite.

Jabber is the open source instant messaging technology. Like many companies, the developers have a product that is free and others that they sell.

For example, there is a commercial Jabber product for Windows and an open source Jabber product that runs on Linux.

http://www.instantmessagingplanet.co...le.php/3112341

Default Re:Oracle licences Jabber technology

I setup a Jabber server a year or two ago. It was pretty nice. Should be much more mature by now.

I'll have to look into it in the near future.

I'll have to look into it in the near future.
    Jabber 2.0 is now a release candidate so the stable version should be out soon. It is a complete rewrite.

Should be fun.

I remember that the architecture was designed from day one to support xml based voice protocols and some perl dudes were doing some cool stuff integrating it with email for a notification system.
    Hope I can make the time in the near future to play with it. 8)