Thread: AAlib

Default AAlib

Guys, sorry to all of u for my long absences. I just keep seeing how six-feet under looks in my head :'(

I had dengue fever up to Sunday; CW stole about $6000 with there new scheme (though i haven't reported it yet) and i don't have my modem in my PC mostly due to the fact that win98se's internet connection committed bitticide and mandrake linux still can't get a satifactory location and config on my 20 gig.

Question: Anyway to use AAlib instead of XFree? It works wonderfully to me. I saw a user's log: he used GGI and XGGI? among other software.

Thanks for not forgetting me.

igodit Guest

Default Re:AAlib

I just did some reading up on AAlib, now I should ask, "Why do you want to use AAlib?"

Will you be using a text browser, or console for your Linux?

AAlib website - http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/

Sample of graphics in AAlib

looks great for artwork.
    I'd invest in better hardware rather than battle too much with AALIB/X server interoperability.

But... never say never... I'm sure the satisfaction of getting aalib running a full blown windowmanager would more than pay for the months of toil that it may take.

It's not a hardware problem that i am having. Its the way to get XFree configured. Many people can't get it manually configured from scratch. And the desktops on Linux most likely come with mostly preconfigured files. Do any of us using/hacking linux on this forum know how to use Gentoo, e.g., and configure XFree for a computer with a Video Card like even SiS 305 or 6326 without any misfortunes?

That's what I am saying. But AAlib requires much less or no config; runs on anything; and uses much less memory. Still there are many disadvantages.

Still, I started using NetBSD again. Got X working. But I gave it too little space. So nothing but w32 is on my computer now and NetBSD is going to get my next OS of choice.

Question: what will happen to linux now that it is being forced to do things the way people will hate (high priced software, secrecy in development, etc.)? Why don't they just branch Linux into a version much like OpenBSD and a very Open version like the original?

U see how easy it was for all of us to be hit by a virus in the next versions? Things are getting way too simplified!