Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C&W blocking VOIP service

Default C&W blocking VOIP service

Does anyone use VOIP (other than NetSpeak) over their ADSL ? I decided to use a VOIP provider in the US because they were cheaper than C&W NetSpeak. Service worked fine for about a week then stopped suddenly. Now I can still browse all I want but I can't connect to my VOIP provider network. I took my equipment/device and went over to my neighbors house(they also have C&W ADSL) and I had the same problem.... can't connect to the VOIP provider. This ruled out a problem with my modem's configuration. I then took the device to work and connected it to our LAN and it connected immediately, I was able to make and receive calls with no issues. Anyone smell a rat here ????
    It is my opinion that C&W is doing something on their end to block this service. Is anyone having similar problems with C&W ADSL service ?

I used to have this issue with my voip overseas service using cnw adsl but have given up for some time, I have heard it is real but cannot prove it hence no charges or reports made by anyone.

I know quite a few people who use vonage out here, no complaints from them so far.

Yeah... like pogi... I know a few ppl Vonage who are still working fine.. Also others wid lingo too...
    Heroes to Mentors -

Quote Originally Posted by rodalembs
    Yeah... like pogi... I know a few ppl Vonage who are still working fine.. Also others wid lingo too...

R they on cnw adsl? If so, then all is well, must be the voip service itself.

I know some persons who use Vonage, Netstream, Carribean Net Talk and J2's Voicestream (J2's Voip service) on DSL with no probs.

C&W actually blocked the Sip ports on the new DSL, i belive it was the speedtouch 510 or higher not sure. And for the voip to work you would have to unblock/unbind the sip ports.

Try this solution
    http://www.toyz.org/mrblog/archives/00000173.html

Trust me it worked for some persons I know, cuz I followed those instructions and unbind the ports and the voip box worked.

Quote Originally Posted by sg1
    Service worked fine for about a week then stopped suddenly. Now I can still browse all I want but I can't connect to my VOIP provider network .... It is my opinion that C&W is doing something on their end to block this service. Is anyone having similar problems with C&W ADSL service ?
    You give them FAR too much credit. Their network has been a veritable crap-fest, at least in my neck of the woods, for the last week or so. The sub par network performance has all but decimated real-time apps (VoIP, gaming etc.)

There is even a website that I can't reach because one of the Savvis routers in Miami has "forgotten" how to route traffic there. Needless to say if I go through a proxy utilizing someone else's network the site comes up just fine. *sigh*

I haven't seen any instances where C&W has explicitly gone out of their way to block VoIP traffic and honestly can't imagine why they would. It would affect their NetSpeak as well as others. SIP is SIP no matter who provides your long distance

With the newer firmware releases for the SpeedTouch routers (v6+) I don't think it is necessary to muck with the ALG bindings but I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry
    I know some persons who use Vonage, Netstream, Carribean Net Talk and J2's Voicestream (J2's Voip service) on DSL with no probs.

C&W actually blocked the Sip ports on the new DSL, i belive it was the speedtouch 510 or higher not sure. And for the voip to work you would have to unblock/unbind the sip ports.

Try this solution
    http://www.toyz.org/mrblog/archives/00000173.html

Trust me it worked for some persons I know, cuz I followed those instructions and unbind the ports and the voip box worked.
    Thanks alot.... I was able to get things working again after deleting the SIP port binding from the modem. I find it strange that my service worked for a week then stopped because of some configuration setting that isn't available from the normal modem browser setup screens. Obviously they remotely change my modem settings.
    I am glad I was able to get this working.... I am already paying them US$31.95 for 256k (my girlfriend in the US pays US$14.95 for 768/384 from SBC yahoo), no way I was going to give C&W another US$30 dollars per month for their NetSpeak service.

sip always had problems with nat/pat traversal.. I am surprised
    y'all havent blamed them for blocking your ftp ports as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sg1
    Obviously they remotely change my modem settings.
    The SIP binding is in the default configuration. You have to go out of your way to disable it. A more likely scenario is a change in the VoIP hardware setup. Depending on your service, things like firmware and config changes happen transparently without your knowledge or permission [].

C&W's approach with their ADSL hardware is surprisingly hands off.