Thread: Package installed verification

Default Package installed verification

I know that with RPMs one can run rpm -qa|grep <package_name> or part of the package name, to see if it is installed as well as the version.

How do I verifiy whether or not a software is installed when I use tarballs as well as the version version?

Thanx

Default Re:Package installed verification

Tarballs usually get installed in the default /usr/share directory. To be sure though, just check the INSTALL file (in some case README) that came with the tar. It should direct you to the location it will install to.
    Another thing, your /bin should have the executable binary file, or at least a link to the actual thing.
    Maybe calling the program with -v or -V would provide you with the version.

Unless you specified it, packages installed from gzipped tarballs are going to be installed in you /usr/local subtree. This means that the BINARIES, will be in /usr/local/bin, you shared libaries are in /usr/local/lib and your shared files (like configs, or sound files for example) are in /usr/local/share. If the package includes development include files (foo.h) then they will be in /usr/local/include.

Be that as it may all the subdirectories, usually have the name of the pacakge.

You can allso get friendly with a tool called pkgtool, when building and installing from gzipped tarballs.

If not you can try out GNU STOW search for it at
    http://www.freshmeat.net

GNU Stow is a program for managing the installation of software packages, keeping them separate (/usr/local/stow/emacs vs. /usr/local/stow/perl, for example) while making them appear to be installed in the same place (/usr/local). Software to ease the keeping track of software built from source, making it easy to install, delete, move etc.

this is installed by default with suse, which is why I know about it

--regards
    Gillion

Thanx guys.

Peace