Thread: New Linux version expected in December

igodit Guest

Default New Linux version expected in December

The 2.6 version of the Linux core is expected in December and will be much more stable on arrival than its predecessor, according to the programmer in charge of the software. The current test version, 2.6.0-test10, should be the last, and 2.6.0 itself will emerge by the end of the year "unless the wheels fall off in a serious manner," 2.6 overseer Andrew
    Morton said in an interview Tuesday.

The 2.6 Linux core, called the kernel, brings major changes compared with the 2.4 version currently sold by companies such as Red Hat and SuSE Linux. One significant improvement is the ability to take advantage of the powerful servers with numerous processors, a market where Unix is popular today and which Microsoft also is trying to crack. "The 2.4 kernel really does begin to run out of steam at four or eight CPUs," Morton said. "With 2.6, I'd be surprised if there is anything preventing it from scaling to 32."

Linux is based on Unix. But unlike Unix, Linux grew popular on widely used and low-priced Intel-based computers. It first became popular among corporate customers on lower-end servers, but running on higher-end servers will let Linux supplant more of the Unix market.

The full story

Default Re:New Linux version expected in December

The headline is not acurate... change it to New KERNEL version expected in December. This will reduce confusion that most newbies have with understanding the diference between what a Distribution is as opposed to What the kernel is.

This post deffinately caught my eye.... ;D

In the meantime, there is however a new kernel : Linux 2.6.0-test11 "Beaver In Detox"

Linus Torvalds has released his final 2.6.0-test kernel, calling it the "Beaver In Detox". Following this release Linus says that 2.6 development will be lead by Andrew Morton. The kernel's name refers in jest to the previous release, which Linus had named "Stoned Beaver". It contains a fix for the aic7xxx driver, proper error handling in do_fork(), some firewire fixes, and correction of a few skbuff leakage points. Download it from a kernel.org mirror.

I used to spend time playing with the 2.6.0-test x (3 and up) kernels then I got distracted... last test kernel I ran with test 8 patched to test 9... no more since then because by test 8 most of my hardware at home works sweet... including better battery life on my laptop. Nice... ohh and X is a lot faster... I wouldn't mind then wating until February...

I would encourage you guys to install and bug test the KERNEL (just use it as you would on your regular
    ( NON CRITICAL/PRODUCTION system)
    it will help the development along MUCH faster.

Those of you intetrested (and serious) will find a way to begin the process....
    Clue... L K M L

--regards
    Gillion