Thread: Zone Alarm help

Default Zone Alarm help

i have just installed zone alarm on one of the computers on my network but when the other computers on the network tried to connect to the net they failed but when i unstalled zone alarm and then reset my modem all my computers then had internet connection is there a way to set zone alarm to allow other computers on my network internet connections. i thank in advance for your replies
    you cry i' wipe away all of your tears
    you scream i fight away all of your fears

To configure your network connection using the Network Configuration Wizard:

Choose the Zone you want this network in, then click Next.
    Name the network. The name you enter here will be displayed in the Zones tab of the Firewall panel.
    If you prefer not to use the Network Configuration Wizard, click Cancel in the Wizard screen. A New Network alert will appear. The detected network will be placed in the Internet Zone, even if it is a private network. For information on using the New Network alert, see New Network alert .
    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Just a quick question bro ... this machine that has Zone Alarm is it operating like a default gateway, i.e, does all the other machines access the internet from this machine? This is the only scenario I can think about that would prevent the other machine from accessing the internet.

NB. The free edition of Zone Alarm is for personal uses and cannot be used in this manner, you will need a corporate firewall.

Does your network have a switch?
    How are you connected to the internet?

fresh_ja the computer that zone alarm was on was the computer that other computers acessed the internet from it was just another node on the network and yes my network does use a switch and i am connected to the internet by DSL modem thats connected to a switch and the computers are connected to the switch. if i can't use zone alarm in this situation then can u please another good firewall that i can proberly installed on each node that is connected to the network.

I have the regular zone alarm on all my machines. To let them communicate together, i simply went to zones>add ip range (because all the machines are on a router) example, 3 pcs so the range would be 192.168.1.100-192.169.1.103. If you have your XP firewall enabled as well ensure "file and printer sharing" is enabled.

Jerry i don't have windows XP i have windows 2000 professional and what about if i don't want zone alarm installed on all the computers i just want it installed on one computer on the network is there a way to do that and still all my other computers can connect to the internet.

Ok .. this is how I understood ur structure and thus the following response.

You have an ADSL modem and a switch, however, you have probably installed a second NIC in the machine that has ZA. You have the ADSL connected directly to this machine and with the 2nd NIC you connected it to the Switch. All other nodes you have connected to the switch with the intent for internet traffic to be routed through the designated machine which has ZA enabled, hence protecting your Network.

I believe you are seeking a corporate firewall solution that would remedy the problem you are facing.

Reason
    =====
    Personal Firewall are designed to prevent such a setup they are desinged only to protect the current machine that it is installed on, however, corporate solutions act as a single point of protection for other nodes.

1)
    You have the solution offered by jerry which is very feasible, however I believe you did not opt for this option because any update/configuration will need to be done at all the individual machines rather than a central point.
    2)
    The only other alternative is to locate a corporate firewall, I am not aware of a free one at the moment but you can try Kerio Winroute Firewall from download.com it has a 30 day free trial. See if this is what you are looking for.

http://www.download.com/Kerio-WinRou...ml?tag=lst-0-6

this is the structure fresh_ja
    ADSL Modem ------>Switch---->and the other two nodes are connected to the switch
    and zone alarm is one of the nodes and this does not allow the other node to acess the internet
    Last edited by hidden_18; Mar 21, 2006 at 03:29 AM.